VMware Communities
alphred
Contributor
Contributor

vmware player preferences for mutiple users

Hi

I wan't multiple users to launch the same vmachine from local install of vmplayer.

Each user has a dynamic windows local user account hence needs to answer the usual prompts e.g. check web for latest vmplayer etc.every time.

I would like to preset these preferences but can't see where they are stored.

I couldn't find them in the registry hkcu or hklm

any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

check the preferences.ini in each users home\user\application data\vmware

alphred
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Continuum :smileygrin:

With that info, all I had to do was run a batch file from a shortcut (in my case a Novell application) to create the vmware folder in the users' profiles. Then copy the preferences .ini file (from a network share in my case) into it before launching the virtual machine.

md "%appdata%\vmware"

copy "
vs-ep-s1\eps1\civil\xpall\vm\preferences.ini" "%appdata%\vmware\"

"c:\program files\VMWARE\VMWARE PLAYER\vmplayer.exe" c:\vmachines\qsenew\qse7.vmx

I tried the %username% variable first but didn't always work as it doesn't always point to the username's current profile eg always points to fred wher as current profile might be fred.001 etc.

cheers

0 Kudos
alphred
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers

0 Kudos
RajeshR2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I require a clarification with regards to settings in preferences.ini for vmware player

webupdate.checklast = "1205256737"

webupdate.lastcheck.status = "done_updates"

what will be the settings and how does the value given in quotes arrived? Does it vary for all other versions of vmware player

Thanks in Advance,

Rajesh.R

0 Kudos