VMware Communities
mrcowboy1
Contributor
Contributor

vmware player in corporate environment?

I know that the licensing for this says that it's free for personal, non-commercial use, but I work in a company that has some software that doesn't work in windows 64 bit and vmware player is a perfect solution for a handful of us.  is this software allowed to be used in a corporate environment without having to buy workstation?  Player gives us everything we need.

Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From the VMware Player FAQ

What does it cost?

VMware Player is free for personal non-commercial use.   VMware Player is only distributable with written permission from VMware.   Please apply here to request a distribution agreement.

My take on it is if you're just downloading one copy of VMware Player and using it on one physical machine for your own use and that is the total number of installs in your organization then just do it otherwise if multiple users and or multiple physical machines then click the "apply here" link and fill out the form.

0 Kudos
mrcowboy1
Contributor
Contributor

but there's where the grey area is.  we are not "distributing" it.  we are only using it maybe on 6 computers for each persons use.  I think vmware would have the definitive answer on this but I wished the eula would be more explicit.  thanks for responding so quickly though.  🙂

Paul

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It is typical and quite normal in many commercial environments that the Users are not aloud to install any software without permission and in many case they still can't install it even if the software in question is okayed and is then usually installed by someone on the IT Staff and IMO this is where distribution/redistribution outside the bounds of non-commercial personal use comes into play.

The way I see it is you can just install the software and be done with it and who's going to know or care whether or not your in compliance or fill out the form in the attempt to be compliant whether or not it's necessary and or your organization subscribes to being compliant.

There is a fork in the road, pick one and keep going. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mrcowboy1
Contributor
Contributor

vmware answered, here is there reply and the associated document for corporate people.

Thank you for your interest VMware Player. There is no fee however you need to fill out the attached legal agreement and return the signed copy to me so I can foreword it to our legal department.

Only scan or is acceptable, Please include your contact information.

The legal department will execute the agreement and return it to me, I will in turn foreword it back to you.

Once you get a signed copy of the agreement back from VMware, you will be able to use VMware Player per the terms and conditions of the agreement.

If there are any questions on the agreement, please let me know

Thank you

0 Kudos