VMware Communities
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vmrun still missing in WS Player v16

After hearing in this forum that the vmrun CLI app was to be part of Workstation Player v16, I anxiously installed it as soon as it was released. Alas, it's still not part of the installation bundle. Is it possible that this utility has been renamed, or its functionality subsumed into a different CLI program?

7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It was mentioned in a few places that VMware Player 16 would include vmrun.

Unfortunately from the looks of it, that only made it into the windows version of VMware Player 16. I just installed that and it was indeed available.

Then I installed VMware Player 16 on a debian host and there's no vmrun anywhere to be found.

Perhaps somebody from VMware can look into this as it would indeed be very welcome to have preinstalled (tried installing manually, but bumped into version issues as I -kind of- expected)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
arn0k
Contributor
Contributor

+1 on Ubuntu and Debian no vmrun command available!

psychoEng
Contributor
Contributor

2021 still facing the same issue +1

arn0k
Contributor
Contributor

Did you try if the latest release already includes vmrun :VMware Workstation 16.1.1 Player 2021-04-01 (VMware-Player-16.1.1-17801498.x86_64.bundle) ?

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=WKST-PLAYER-1611&productId=1039&r...

There is nothing in the release notes, so I guess not. I'm wondering if anyone at vmware cares?

ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As a workaround, I installed the full Workstation Pro version, which includes both vmrun and Workstation Player.

vijaravind
Contributor
Contributor

but after 30 days, it keeps asking license eventhough it is for non-commercial use.

really frustrating experience.

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Even when using Workstation Player? I have menu icons for both Player and Workstation, never used the Player one after buying a Workstation license.

This should not be happening with Player.

0 Kudos