VMware Communities
biotch
Contributor
Contributor

vmplayer 2.0.2 not working in Fedora 8

I just upgraded from F7 to F8, and downloaded the latest vmplayer (2.0.2) and any-any-update115.

The install seemed to work fine, and the services all started normally.

When I tried to play a VM, I got the error:

Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 167.0, got 161.0.

You have an incorrect version of the `vmmon' kernel module.

Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

I'm on kernel 2.6.23.9-85.fc8.

I tried reinstalling using any-any-update113, with no success.

Finally, I reinstalled using the tar installer for vmplayer v2.0.0, with any-any-update113, and I'm back up and running.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
janvlug
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
biotch
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not running 64-bit, and I don't have xen or any other virtualization s/w installed.

0 Kudos
JDThompson
Contributor
Contributor

Did you run vmware-config.pl to build new modules for your new kernel?

0 Kudos
biotch
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. That's what I meant by "The install seemed to work fine, and the services all started normally."

It did not seem to matter which version of the any-any-update I used--113 or 115. I did not try 114.

Each attempt was from freshly extracted files from the tarball.

VMplayer 2.0.0 continues to work fine, though!

0 Kudos
JDThompson
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. I just did a fresh install of Fedora-8 (64-bit) a week or so ago, and installed VMwarePlayer-2.0.2-59824 (64-bit) and apart from a USB problem (which I suspect is unrelated to VMware) it all worked fine after running vmware-config.pl

The "module mismatch" error you report suggests that you need to recompile the modules.

0 Kudos
biotch
Contributor
Contributor

Well, if there's anything I can do to help isolate the issue, let me know.

I don't have debuggers, stack tracers, etc. installed, and have never used such tools, so it may take some hand-holding.

I did rerun vmware-config.pl with each attempt, since some folks indicated that it made their installation work.

0 Kudos