VMware Communities
JimRPI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmnetcfg won't run on Win 7 Pro 64-bit host

Hi, I am trying to configure my Ubuntu 10.04 guest to bridge 1 network adapter to my wireless adapter on the host, and bridge the other to my host's ethernet adapter, but I am unable to run vmnetcfg on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host.

I downloaded VMware-player-3.1.2-301548.exe from the vmware site yesterday and extracted vmnetcfg.exe from network.cab as described in many places around the web, put it in the VMware Player directory, and ran it.  It ran in the background for a few seconds, then closed.  It doesn't open the GUI window at all, but the mouse pointer changes to the working in background pointer for a few seconds, and vmnetcfg.exe shows up in the process list in the Windows task manager.

At first I thought maybe there was a conflict between slightly different versions, so I uninstalled VMware player (maybe v3.1.1) and reinstalled using the new setup file I had just downloaded.  After copying vmnetcfg into the VMware Player directory, it still didn't work.  Same symptoms.

The configuration I'm trying to achieve seems to be straightforward if I can only get vmnetcfg to work.  Has anyone else experienced this problem or have suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Tip:
uninstall VMplayer - download Workstation 7.0.1 instead and use  it without license.

Same functionality like VMplayer but then the must-have tools like vmnetcfg.exe or vmware-vdiskmanager are installed correctly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

where do you copy the extracted vmnetcfg.exe ?
do you start it as adminitrator by right-clik "run as" ?

on some hosts it only works after disabling UAC

do you have any nasty security suite such as Norton or Symantec running ?
do you have a running process named fixcamera.exe ?

0 Kudos
JimRPI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ulli Hankeln wrote:

where do you copy the extracted vmnetcfg.exe ?

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player

do you start it as adminitrator by right-clik "run as" ?

I forgot to mention I'd tried that, with the same results as before.  I just tried disabling UAC completely and it still doesn't work.

do you have any nasty security suite such as Norton or Symantec running ?
do you have a running process named fixcamera.exe ?

No fixcamera.exe.  I do have avast AntiVirus installed.  Disabling all real-time shields didn't change anything.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling again now, but this time I'm going to delete the whole VMware directory after the uninstall to make sure that I'm starting over completely from scratch.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Tip:
uninstall VMplayer - download Workstation 7.0.1 instead and use  it without license.

Same functionality like VMplayer but then the must-have tools like vmnetcfg.exe or vmware-vdiskmanager are installed correctly

0 Kudos
JimRPI
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it.  Thank you!!

0 Kudos