VMware Communities
LennyBas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmnetcfg.exe: "The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library" - VMware Workstartion 15 Player

I have VMware Workstation 15 Player installed on Windows 10 (64-bit).  When I attempt to launch (double click) on C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmnetcfg.exe, a window pops up with the following error:

"The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmnetcfg.exe."

Note that vmplayer.exe launches just fine from the same folder.

Also, the license is loaded and Help About displays the produce status as Licensed.

TIA!

Lenny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LennyBas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Saw a posting for version 14 to get the "full" workstation installer.  Didn't find "full" but did find "pro".  In the pro, there is a Workstation.cab and a 15.5.2 build of vmnetcfg.exe.

So I think it is safe to say I have the wrong version of vmnetcfg.exe was installed.

update: the name of the "pro" download does say "full": VMware-workstation-full-15.5.2-15785246.exe.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The virtual network editor requires a few dll files as well as the exe.

0 Kudos
LennyBas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's VMware Worksation 15 Player installation.  vmnetcfg and what it needs is installed as part of Workstation.  Perhaps the dlls did not get registered?  Do you know which dlls they are?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

They don't need to get registered, but at the moment I forget which ones they are - only 1 or two.  Try vnetlib.dll, and I think libeary32.dll?

I have everything in a folder somewhere, but I can't find it at home... It's likely on my portable hard drive that's in my desk drawer at the office... and I'm stuck working from home until this mess is over.

Doesn't the message indicate which dll you need?  I think that's how I determined the files a long time ago.

0 Kudos
LennyBas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The message did not indicate the dll (which I found strange).

I'm looking to see if my org. installed it incorrectly.  I checked the build for vmnetcfg.exe and it is the 12.5.5!?!  vmplayer.exe is 15.5.1.  So now I am trying to locate vmnetcfg.exe that is for VMware Workstation 15 Player.  Perhaps 12.5.5 is the correct build, or perhaps we need a newer one.

Thanks for the info!

Lenny

0 Kudos
LennyBas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Saw a posting for version 14 to get the "full" workstation installer.  Didn't find "full" but did find "pro".  In the pro, there is a Workstation.cab and a 15.5.2 build of vmnetcfg.exe.

So I think it is safe to say I have the wrong version of vmnetcfg.exe was installed.

update: the name of the "pro" download does say "full": VMware-workstation-full-15.5.2-15785246.exe.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The virtual network editor does NOT get installed as part of the Player package - you MUST extract it from a Workstation Pro package.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

OK, so I found my files on that external drive.

Player 6.x has vmnetcfg.exe and a corresponding vmnetcfglib.dll.

I also have Player 7.x, and Player 12.x.  Both of those folders only have the vmnetcfg.exe file.

So, unfortunately it appears that the requirements have changed over the years.

I used Dependency Walker on the 15.5.2 version and it listed several VMware dlls - I'm not sure if they are all required, but:

vmapputil.dll

vmwarebase.dll

vmwarecui.dll

vmwarestring.dll

vmwarewui.dll

vnetlib.dll

So, try just the vnetlib.dll first.  Then add the others in the above list one at a time.

0 Kudos