VMware Communities
Kenpachizero
Contributor
Contributor

vm wont boot

Hello, i am trying to virtualizes my laptop for the first time. i created a acronis back with no compression and no encryption plus i also verified it, i then use vmware converter to convert it for vmware player 4, when i try to boot the vm, i get the vmware bios then just a _ in the top left corner and thats it, unfortuneately i am not sure what to do at this point, if someone can help it would be great

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kenpachizero
Contributor
Contributor

can any suggest anything or even tell me if i am posting in the wrong place?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

it sounds as though the partition is not set as a boot partition.  attach a XP CD and do a repair on the VM.  take a back up first.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You didn't say what OS and while Tom said "attach a XP CD and do a repair on the VM" only do so if it's Windows XP and if so then have a look at: Windows XP Recovery Console

Also have a look at the following sections in Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users.

Option 2: Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM

Using the Command Console within Windows Recovery Console

Available commands within Windows Recovery Console (specifically fixboot and fixmbr).

If it's Windows 7 then use the Window 7 DVD, have a look at Windows 7 recovery DVD and use the Startup Repair link.

Kenpachizero
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for that, i am sorry, i have windows 7, i'll try the repair tonight

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Good point woody LOL.  bit of a schoolboy error on my part.  well you know that Assumption is the mother of all cock ups Smiley Happy

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Kenpachizero
Contributor
Contributor

unfortuneately windows 7 cd could not find any fault with my installation, i do have a nother idea, if i boot the vm with acronis and restore my hd to the vm, do you know it that will work?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Are you getting a Black screen or a blue screen with a message??

0 Kudos
Kenpachizero
Contributor
Contributor

after bios finishes booting i just get a black screen

0 Kudos