Contributor

video Ram stuck at 4MB, what now?

VMware workstation1 6 player
windows 10 pro host
windows 10 pro guest
gpu 2080ti
ram 128gb
cpu 8700k

I changed the vrram size in the vmx file, nothing.. machine still uses 4mb.

it says shared memory around 3000mb but Display memory VRAM only 4mb.

Photoshop does not work, chrome display badly.

What now?

PLease help...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@NoobforVM 

Moderator: Please create threads in the area for the product used - moved to Workstation Player Discussions

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not sure exactly where you're seeing that reported, but there's different kinds of graphics memory.

Physical graphics cards have memory as part of the card, that's commonly called "on-board" or "Dedicated" graphics memory, and then they can also access system memory for some graphics operations, which is commonly referred to in Windows as "Shared Memory".

For new, modern VMs, VMware's virtual graphics device functions more like an integrated graphics card, in that it primarily uses shared system memory, rather than on-board dedicated memory.

So if you turned up the "Graphics Memory" on the VM in the Workstation UI, the "4MB" value you're seeing is probably the dedicated memory in the virtual PCI-card of our graphics device, which isn't actually used for anything after the guest has finished booting and the graphics driver is loaded.

Whereas the "3000MB" value is probably the amount of system-memory that your guest applications are allowed to use for graphics operations, which is actually the amount of graphics resources the application can create.

So that sounds correct to me.

I'm not sure why you're having Chrome/Photoshop problems though... Can you post a vmware.log file for us to look at?

0 Kudos
NoobforVM
Contributor
Contributor

on one of my host machines VRAM says  11048 and that is  exactly what this GPU can give me.

On my virtual machine it says 4 mb at the same spot.

As you can see in dxdiag it says vram as display memory and below that there is something called "shared memory" which is !? I have no clue what.

So now for sure I know display memory Vram stands for what GB my graphics card has.

Right?

The same value on my virtual machine is literally 4 mb. For sure that is the reason why Photoshop fails. This has to be addressed somehow but how!?