VMware Communities
pdwOnline
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unworkable slow VM image after upgrading to player 3.0 on Ubuntu 9.10

I am running some VM images with Windows XP or Vista hosted on a Ubuntu 9.10 machine running VMware Player.

My VM Images became unworkable slow since I upgraded the VMware Player to version 3.0. With version 2.5 it worked extremely well.

I must say, I had a similar problem before, but after adding mainMem.useNamedFile=FALSE to the .VMX file it ran perfect.

When Iboot the same machine from Windows XP and run these very same VM images from there using VMware player 3.0 for Windows, it runs perfectly (better than with the 2.5 version actually).

So tried all kinds of settings, installed vmware tools update, reinstalled vmware player, and even reinstalled ubuntu, but same result.

Of course, I like to get this thing running with the VMplayer 3.0, but I gave up.

After uninstalling vmware player and reinstalling version 2.5, I got this dialog that modules must be recompiled. So I clicked "_install" and got this"unable to build kernel module error, refering to a logfile (see below) No clear clue why this thing doesn't work.

+ Why does the image run perfect on VMware player 3.0 hosted with Windows XP, but not running on the same version hosted on Ubuntu?

+ Why can't I run the downgraded VMplayer 2.5 ending up in the module compile error ?

AnyOne?

log file

dec 02 15:37:02.162: app| Log for VMware Workstation pid=6712 version=6.5.1 build=build-126130 option=Release

dec 02 15:37:02.162: app| Host codepage=UTF-8 encoding=UTF-8

dec 02 15:37:02.162: app| Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/setup-6712.log

dec 02 15:37:03.418: app| Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

dec 02 15:37:03.431: app| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.4.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

mainmem.useNamedFile is no longer longer used on Linux hosts that run VMplayer 3 or Workstation 7.

New parameters are :

mainmem.backing = "swap"

mainmem.backing = "named"

mainmem.backing = "unnamed"

see http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html#mainmem

Do this VMs use 2 virtual CPUs ? - that is not recommended on Ubuntu 9.10 hosts

See

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
STALonge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HOST : Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

Guest : Windows XP

I have here same situation , i try to increase // decrease the amount of RAM memory aloccated by VM.. Smiley Sad .. i try to chage the number of CPU Smiley Sad ..i create a new windows XP vmware ( starting from zero ) Smiley Sad .. i try to downgrade to 2.5 and the kernel 2.6.31-14-generic ( ubuntu karmic 9.10 ) does not permit to conpile again .. :_|

i have 2 years of experience using vmware player and has many others images of linux distros , but the problem is only when i try to guest a windows machine ...

If i use a any linux distro image in vmware player 3 , it works with no problems.

i try to use the same XP vmware image in other computer running ubuntu jaunty ( host ) and VMware player 2.5 and it run without any problems ..

I confirm that when u use vmplayer 3 with ubuntu 9.10 guesting a Windows XP image , there is a unworkable and slow image

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

mainmem.useNamedFile is no longer longer used on Linux hosts that run VMplayer 3 or Workstation 7.

New parameters are :

mainmem.backing = "swap"

mainmem.backing = "named"

mainmem.backing = "unnamed"

see http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html#mainmem

Do this VMs use 2 virtual CPUs ? - that is not recommended on Ubuntu 9.10 hosts

See

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
pdwOnline
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! It helps!

added mainmem.backing = "named" and off we go. Works like before!

btw: 2 cpu in vm was not set. Is anyway not a good idea since it seems that vm will wait until both cores have a free cycle. Actually, this might slow your VM down seriously, I have learned..

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is anyway not a good idea since it seems that vm will wait until both cores have a free cycle.

Hosted VMware products do not have a gang scheduler. Multiple virtual cores are scheduled independently by the host OS.

0 Kudos