VMware Communities
shaneadamson
Contributor
Contributor

transfer from windows to linux

I am new to vmplayer and would like to get a Windows guest to run on a Linux client.

I downloaded MS VirtualPC 2007 and created a virtual machine on my XP box. I would like to open that virtualpc on my linux box. The linux box has vmplayer and can see the file. But VPC2007 created a .vmc file and the vmplayer on the linux box wants a .vmx file.

Any way I can get it converted? anyone tried this before?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Open... change type to "Virtual PC/Virtual Server Files (*.vmc), and select it. This will Import the VPC virtual machine.

Or, you could use a 3rd party utility (such as my own VMX Builder) to create a VMware virtual machine and install the OS in there...

0 Kudos
shaneadamson
Contributor
Contributor

When I open VMplayer I am given two options: Open an existing Virtual Machine or Download a Virtual Appliance. I click on Virtual Machine and it allows me to browse for a file. In the lower right corner I have the option of choosing what type of file I want. It gives me two choices: Virtual Machine (*.vmx) or All files. I am never given a choice to change the type to "Virtual PC/Virtual Server Files".

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What version of VMware Player? I've got 2.5.1 for Windows here and I have about 5 options in the drop-down box.

Perhaps you need the VMware Converter installed as well?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Since you are on a Linux host, you do not have the option to run/convert MS Virtual PC .vmc

This feature only applies to windows hosts running Workstation or VMware Player.

It may be possible to install Converter 4.0 into a Windows VM and copy your MC VM into the same Windows VM.

Convert the MS VM into a VMware VM and copy it back to your host..

0 Kudos