VMware Communities
Nicoara
Contributor
Contributor

traceroute from Ubuntu just shows first and last hops on VMPlayer 3.1.4

Hello,

In the few hours I spend looking for a solution, I could not find a  solution one anywhere on the web or on the forums. Thus, I am posting it  here.

I run VMPlayer 3.1.4 on top of my Windows 7, 64-bit. I have a local area connection to my pc. The operating system on the VM is Ubuntu 10.4.

The problem is that the traceroute command in ubuntu does not work. The internet is working.

user@ubuntu:~$ sudo traceroute -T www.google.com
traceroute to www.google.com (74.125.225.18), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  192.168.15.2 (192.168.15.2)  3.269 ms  0.248 ms *
2  * * *
3  * * *
4  * * *
5  * * *
6  * 74.125.225.18 (74.125.225.18)  14.588 ms *

This happens when my firewall is off in Windows. I know from my Windows command prompt that this traceroute is actually ten hops. (i would like to use ubuntu for the project that I am working on though). My PC ip address is 24.12.191.111. When I do ipconfig /all in my Windows command prompt, 192.168.15.1 appears to be the preferred IPv4 Address for the Ethernet adapter VMWare Network Adapter VMnet1 - I don't know how to change this.

My internet Local Area Connection Proprieties -> Sharing setting in Windows is not checking the boxes to allow users to connect through the computer's internet connection.

Also, my VMPlayer Virtual Machine Settings -> Network Adapter is just checking NAT: share the host's IP. The other alternative options not checked are Bridged and host-only. I have tried both of these and I could not connect to the internet from Ubuntu.

Are there any solutions to this problem? I found at least one other with the same issue that had no succes.

Thanks for any ideas,

Nicoara

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

moved the discussion to a more appropriate section

if bridging does not work - did you install vmnetcfg.exe or check with Virtual network Editor that you disable automatic bridging ?

0 Kudos
Nicoara
Contributor
Contributor

This is frustrating. I took the vmnetcfg from the attachment at the bottom of the page http://communities.vmware.com/thread/270128, but when I run it it doesn't do anything, no pup-up. I still cannot get bridging going.

0 Kudos
YLeduc1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I tried tracert (windows xp guest) running NAT Network card and I obtain the same results - ie.no results from intermediate routers. On the other hand once I switched to bridge, everything works.

I don't have a ubuntu VM though.

Regards.

0 Kudos
YLeduc1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

this issue kind of puzzled me so I did a setup that would check things out properly - i.e. packet capture and manageable switch that would allow me to copy packets from one port to another.

The executive summary is the following: If your Windows Firewall in turned on on your host, you will see this behavior - only the first and last device answers. If it's turned off, it works (at least for me).

Now the less summary version.

When your NIC is set NAT (Network Address Translation) and you do a tracert, the VM sends echo request (ping) to the final destination using different Time to Live (number of hop). It start from 1 and increase until either the final destination is reached or a maximum number has been reached (30 for windows). The requests come out with the IP address of the host. The first hop is the gateway within the host so no big surprise that it works. For the last hop, well you have a ping going out for a specific address and your got a reply from that same address, so windows firewall seems happy with that.

What about the intermediary requests, well the answers come back but somehow they are blocked by the Windows firewall. The answers comes back with the source address of the last router that was reached before the time to live expired. So somehow, the firewall is not expecting these replies from each of the intermediary router and obviously, it does not let them through.

If you run the same tracert from the host it works, so may be there is something that VMWare can do so the firewalls let the replies come back to the guest pc.

but only them can answer to that.