VMware Communities
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

suspend (freeze) a machine in RAM instead of creating memory dump into hard disk

I know there is no such an option, but is it possible to request such an option?

leaving the machine on is not a good idea cause the VM sometimes will start tasks on IDLE (esp windows) and that will slow down the host,

And I am using SSD, creating 16GB memory dump every time I want to suspend my machine will kill my SSD

Is it possible to add an option to mimic virtual box "pause" option will just pause the machine in RAM?

thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This option exists in VMware Fusion... and it is called "pause"

Looks like that it is a function that exists for vmrun, so you can do this already from the command line if you need it.

(Please note that you should use VMware Player 16 in order to have vmrun pre-installed)

Then it is :

vmrun "/path to your vm/vm.vmx" pause

and to resume use

vmrun "/path to your vm/vm.vmx" unpause

Note that the vmrun command is in your vmware workstation path and might not be found automatically.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I would suggest adding this as an Idea here: Workstation Pro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This option exists in VMware Fusion... and it is called "pause"

Looks like that it is a function that exists for vmrun, so you can do this already from the command line if you need it.

(Please note that you should use VMware Player 16 in order to have vmrun pre-installed)

Then it is :

vmrun "/path to your vm/vm.vmx" pause

and to resume use

vmrun "/path to your vm/vm.vmx" unpause

Note that the vmrun command is in your vmware workstation path and might not be found automatically.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jen2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The pause command works,

It would be nice to add this pause function to the GUI for it will be much easier for users

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos