VMware Communities
DrakeofAvlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Download all components now" button in VMware Player 16 preferences not working

When I click on "Download all components now" button in VMware Player 16 preferences I get following error:

error.png

I guess this is real reason why VMware Plyer still don't ask me to update VMware Tools in exsisting VMs. Is everything OK with your download servers?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Historically, it has seemed to take 3-5 days after release of a new version for the tools downloads to work correctly.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Player area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmmm...been 2 weeks now and still no updated tools. Guess it begs the question: are these tools available for Workstation Pro?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The latest versions of the Tools are always available at VMware Tools Downloads

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Tried that. If these tools do exist for the v16 Player, I'll be darned if I can find them. When I went to a direct link from another thread with this same issue, the webpage didn't exist. I don't understand why a new release would fail to have the corresponding guest tools, especially when the Windows guests are supposed to have been upgraded for Directx 11 support.

0 Kudos
Ratman
Contributor
Contributor

Download of VMware tools ("Download all components now") still not working...

0 Kudos
ajgringo619
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have found a workaround. The VMware Tools ISOs are bundled within Workstation Pro 16. You will need to do the following to get the files, into the right place (FYI - I did this on Linux, so I'm not exactly sure how to extract the Windows version of Workstation Pro. Caution, though: you still can't install the tools via the GUI; you must install/upgrade the tools as outlined here: VMware Knowledge Base

1. Download Workstation Pro 16 for Linux
  2. Extract the bundle: bash ./VMware-Workstation-Full-16.0.0-16894299.x86_64.bundle --extract VMware-Workstation-16.0.0
  3. If you want, make a backup of the files in /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages
  4. Search for the ISOs:
    • $ find VMware-Workstation-16.0.0 -name *.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-linuxPreGlibc25/linuxPreGlibc25.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-netware/netware.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-linux/linux.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-virtual-printer/VirtualPrinter-Windows.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-virtual-printer/VirtualPrinter-Linux.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-solaris/solaris.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-winPre2k/winPre2k.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-windows/windows.iso

VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-tools-winPreVista/winPreVista.iso

• copy all of these files to /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages (NOTE: when I tested installing via the GUI on a Debian 10 VM, it couldn't find these ISOs, so I had to mount them manually)
    • also copy VMware-Workstation-16.0.0/vmware-player-app/lib/isoimages/isoimages_manifest.txt to /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages

I truly hope this won't be necessary much longer, but at least it gives us a look at the updated tools. I think the biggest change will be seen with Windows VMs (which I don't have).

0 Kudos