VMware Communities
ankurdubey521
Contributor
Contributor

"Cycle Through Multiple Monitor" broken for triple monitor setup on Workstation Player 16

VM: Manjaro Linux (Kernel 5.8)

Host: Windows 10 2004 Pro 64bit

I just upgraded to VMWare Workstation Player 16 (from 15). I have a triple monitor setup (two external 1080p monitors connected to laptop with 1080p display). Before the upgrade I was able to use the triple monior setup inside the VM by selecting a layout from "Cycle Multiple Displays", but now selecting a layout from the list does not do anything.

Strangely enough multi monitor works when I disable any one of the three displays, and try to use a dual monitor setup.

One more observation: I tried to look into the mksSandbox logs, and I found that it refers to the other two displays as "DISPLAY 4" and "DISPLAY 5" instead of dispay 2, 3. Maybe this might have something to do with the issue.

2020-09-30T01:24:05.585+05:30| mks| I005:    Display: 0 size: 1920x1080  position: (0, 0) name: \\.\DISPLAY1 

2020-09-30T01:24:05.585+05:30| mks| I005:    Display: 3 size: 1920x1080  position: (1920, 0) name: \\.\DISPLAY4 

2020-09-30T01:24:05.585+05:30| mks| I005:    Display: 4 size: 1080x1920  position: (-1080, -232) name: \\.\DISPLAY5 

Have attached mksSandbox*.log and vmware*.log as a zip.

This is a similar thread with exact same issue:Re: Multiple monitors not working with vmware workstation player 16 

0 Kudos
27 Replies
xvodkax
Contributor
Contributor

LOL, @JGovers it actually worked for me too ROFL

0 Kudos
bluecandy101
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much @JGovers !
It worked for me too!

0 Kudos
jb75
Contributor
Contributor

This problem still exists in 16.2.2 (confirmed with Windows 10 and 11 hosts) and changing to Light mode is still the fix.

0 Kudos
r01100011
Contributor
Contributor

@JGovers 

Absolute genius. I can't even begin to guess how you figured this out, but this was my exact issue.

Thank you for finding the solution.

I attached a screenshot of where to find option to toggle this.

Thanks again!

alcantarams
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your help!

This solution worked for me on VMware 17.0.1 build-21139696, W11 Host, W10 Guest.

0 Kudos
VasRaCR
Contributor
Contributor

It's 2023 and VM Workstation 17 and the problem persists!  Have Ubuntu 23.04 guest on Win10 host. Used to have 2 monitors (laptop + extra screen) and everything was fine. Was able to go full screen and a single press on the 'cycle multiple monitors" enabled the 2nd screen. Lovely.

Just bought an additional monitor and everything broke! Cycle multip monitors button disappeared. Instead a new button "monitor layout" appeared, but greyed out. I can still click it tho and can select "middle", "middle + left", "middle + right", "all 3". But neither layout works. Only "middle + L" creates a new monitor INSIDE my middle monitor, and i can't interact w/ it.

buggsy buggy bug bugedy wth VMWare? any ideas how to fix this? I really wanna use all 3 monitors. pls help

0 Kudos
JGovers
Contributor
Contributor

Hey man,

sucks that you still have the problem.

Did you try my solution of switching to light mode in VMware player?

Good luck,

Jurriaan

0 Kudos
VasRaCR1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did try to change the lights settings (on VMWare Workstation, not VMPlayer). Does not help. The refresh rate trick helped a bit. In my Win10 host I changed the refresh rate of one (only one is changeable) of my monitors to 59.94HZ. After that I'm able to have 2 monitors working. Two external ones. Better than nothing. But still 3 would be better.

Another trick that works is disabling the 3rd (laptop) screen on the host. Then w/ two screens left Ubuntu guest has no problem w/ a two screen setup.

Should I try using VMPlayer instead of VMWare Workstation?

0 Kudos