VMware Communities
briareos_kerens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Corrupt" VM

I have a problem with a Windows 7 x64 VM run on VmWare Player 14.

At first I thought it was due to a new system with a Ryzen CPU, but then I was unwillingly able to recreate the problem on a system where the same VM always worked. The problem is that if I put any program in the VM to fullscreen, the VM then refuses to restart once shutdown.

Here's what happens if I try to run the VM:

I start up VmWare Player, select the VM, hit play

VM starts, black screen with the popup "to direct input to this VM" etc etc.

VM hangs there.

Usually i would have resized the screen to 320x240 (I think) and shown the VmWare logo, but it doesn't even get there.

VmWare Player is responsive but it's not able to close, I need to kill the process. VM files on disk are locked and I need to reboot the host to get access to them. However, no matter how many temp files I deleted, I get the same error.

Now I'm stuck with this VM I can't apparently use anywhere. Is there a way to boot "repair" the VM or maybe boot Windows in safe mode through the VM, or any other solution to the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
briareos_kerens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the screen set at 2560x1440, dropped to 1920x1080 and the VM boots...and in the VM the screen resolution is still 2560x1440. Rather strange, but now everything works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
briareos_kerens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the screen set at 2560x1440, dropped to 1920x1080 and the VM boots...and in the VM the screen resolution is still 2560x1440. Rather strange, but now everything works.

0 Kudos