VMware Communities
smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

problem autofitting in full screen

Hi everyone,

I am facing some difficulties in autofitting the guest OS in fullscreen mode. However , when i escape from full screen, the guest OS will autofit. What should i do to enable autofit in fullscreen as well? My current version of vmplayer is 3.1.0

best regards,

smallfonts

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is VMware Tools installed?

Have you altered any Settings / Display maximum resolution in the VM?

If the display mode in the guest operating system is smaller than the host’s display mode, try adding the following line to the virtual machine’s configuration (.vmx) file: mks.maxRefreshRate=1000.

smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

hi, thanks for replying.

i'm using ubuntu 10.04 LTS as the host OS and i'm having a big headache trying to install vmware tools so i left it alone. However, the vmplayer only starts autofitting when i resize the screen. In other words, when it first starts, the screen would be set as the last known resolution. How can i make sure that the guest starts up fitting the entire window without having any blank spaces without installing vmtools?

0 Kudos
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Edit the VM settings and go to the options tab. Under Power you should see an option to enter full screen mode after powering on.

smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

thanks bruce,

unfortunately the vm starts in fullscreen without resizing to the fullscreen resolution. it resulted in a portion of black screen.... i'm trying to install vmtools if it helps.

0 Kudos
smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

okay i've managed to install vmtools already. but it still does not autofit.

i have already edit the following in the .vmware/preferences file

pref.autoFit = "true"

pref.autoFitGuestToWindow = "true"

pref.autoFitFullScreen = "fitGuestToHost"

nothing apparently seems to make vmplayer resize itself to fullscreen when i first start vmplayer. it only autofits once i start to resize the window manually.

0 Kudos
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think I understand now! You still need to set your screen resolution within the Operating System. Setting a higher resolution will decrease (or eliminate) the black frame around the VM's console.

0 Kudos
smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

hi bruce,

thank you once again. Yes that's the problem i'm facing. instead of manually changing the resolution of the guest OS, i hope it could resize itself to fit the entire screen automatically once it starts up. perhaps a more detailed description could help:)

1) guest OS starts in full screen mode with black edges and does not attempt to resize ( i hope that the guest OS could resize itself to the fit the screen automatically )

2) only when start dragging vmplayer window, will then autofit start to work and the guest OS will adjust it's resolution

best regards,

smallfonts

0 Kudos
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know that you said you were using Ubuntu as the host OS, what was the guest?

0 Kudos
smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bruce,

thank you for your kind support

The Guest OS is a Windows XP running on a Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS.

Best regards,

Wee Kiat

0 Kudos
smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bruce,

thank you for your kind support

The Guest OS is a Windows XP running on a Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS.

0 Kudos
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have done some additional testing and YES, I have the same experience as you! I am running Player 3.1.0 build-261024 on top of Windows XP host. The VM is Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit desktop. I have selected full screen mode after powering on. When I first start the VM, there is a black band around the VM, UNTIL I restore down and then maximize the Player window. At THAT point, autofit works properly.

I DO NOT see this issue in Workstation 7.1.0 build-261024.

Hopefully someone from VMware can confirm and provide further direction.

0 Kudos
smallfonts
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bruce,

Thank you for your support. I guess i'll try to find a way to fit the screen and continue posting any discoveries i've made along the way then!

best regards,

Smallfonts

0 Kudos