VMware Communities
masplin
Contributor
Contributor

operations on .vmk failed error and cras

I have been using vmware player on my Win 7  Pro 64-bit pc. I have installed a 64-bit Win 7 OS and been happily using it for 3 months. In the last few days I have started getting sporadic errors after the windows desktop has loaded.

"The operation on the file U:\Users\Mike\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7 x64\windows 7 x64.vmk" has failed"

I get a choice of continue, cancel or retry, but it just crashes. A coupel of times rebooting the pc has cured it, but I come back a few hours later and the error has come up agian.  I am in the middle of a huge project that needs to use 64-bit office which I was using on the vmplayer so bit of a crisis. I had 8GB of RAM in use.

Are there any solutions that don't involve deleting the virtual machine and starting again?  This is the first time I've used a VM so not familiar with how to go about this sort of thing.

appreciaite any advice

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
masplin
Contributor
Contributor

I found this post which had a very similar problem.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2072292

I tried follwing the instructions coping the vmdk file to another folder ad it copied without error.

I tried to run chkdsk u: d/ r/ but got an error "the type of file system is RAW". Hunting aorund sounds like I have a problem with a damage partition table.

I'm terrified of damaging something so any idea how to resolve this thanks?

0 Kudos
masplin
Contributor
Contributor

Should mention I went into computer maangement and the drive U: still says NFTS

0 Kudos