VMware Communities
JesseStLouis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is VMware Player using a virtual switch or a Hub?

I am developing some customized computer technical training and need to be able to capture network packets between various virtual machines.

Microsoft's Hyper-V product implements a true virtual switch, therefore I can't see any packets that are not addressed to the virutal machine that the packet sniffer is running on. Enabling promiscuous mode does not gain me anything.

If I were to switch to VMware Player, would I be able to see all packets passing across the virtual network?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware product documentation typically uses the term virtual switch however they are not true switches and should really be called a virtual hub.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware product documentation typically uses the term virtual switch however they are not true switches and should really be called a virtual hub.

0 Kudos
JesseStLouis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, a fast answer!

I am new of VMware player,

Will I have any problems, using VMware Player, to putting a guest OS into promiscuous mode (assuming that the Micro$oft guess OS supports promiscuous mode)? I.E. anything special to do with Player config?

(I have spent most of a week and a half trying to get Hyper-V into hub / promiscuous mode).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In one of my Windows XP Virtual Machines I run Wireshark in promiscuous mode without any problems.