VMware Communities
andyshea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

install vmware player on fedora 11

Hi all

I m trying to install vmware player 3.0.1 on fedora 11. I have downloaded the latest version from vmware but I have problem in mounting the vmware player cd-rom. i try mount -t auto /xxx/xxx/VMware-Player.....bundle /mnt/cdrom but keep getting this error message:

"you must specify the filesystem type"

then i try mount -t iso9660 -o loop /xxx/xxx/VMware.....bundle /mnt/cdrom but getting this error message:

"wrong fs type..."

I m very new to linux and I appreciate any advise.

tks

andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I m trying to install vmware player 3.0.1 on fedora 11. I have downloaded the latest version from vmware but I have problem in mounting the vmware player cd-rom. i try mount -t auto /xxx/xxx/VMware-Player.....bundle /mnt/cdrom but keep getting this error message:

then i try mount -t iso9660 -o loop /xxx/xxx/VMware.....bundle /mnt/cdrom but getting this error message:

"wrong fs type..."

Hey Andy, The problem is that the .bundle file that you've downloaded is not an ISO image. It's a self-extracting shell script, like the one that nVidia uses. You don't mount it first. You just need to run it as sudo. So, (and I think there are instructions for how to do this at the place that you downloaded the .bundle script?) just type "sudo sh ./VMware-Player....bundle" (with the right filename here) and that should execute the shell script with sudo'd (elevated to root) privileges. Please post again to this thread as to whether this fixes your problem or not. HTH!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
PaulSvirin
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First, try running "sudo modprobe iso9660"

If that succeeds check the image type, e.g. using Midnight commander. You must be sure that the image is not stored in the archive.

---

iSCSI SAN software

--- iSCSI SAN software http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

"wrong fs type..."

Hey Andy, The problem is that the .bundle file that you've downloaded is not an ISO image. It's a self-extracting shell script, like the one that nVidia uses. You don't mount it first. You just need to run it as sudo. So, (and I think there are instructions for how to do this at the place that you downloaded the .bundle script?) just type "sudo sh ./VMware-Player....bundle" (with the right filename here) and that should execute the shell script with sudo'd (elevated to root) privileges. Please post again to this thread as to whether this fixes your problem or not. HTH!

0 Kudos
andyshea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi vanRijn

tks and you are right! so stupid of me. as soon as i do that, it install immediately without any problem. but as soon as i start vmware player, i have another error message:

"Kernel Headers for version 2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE were not found..."

I have done "yum install Kernel" and fetch the latest edition but it still give me the same error message. I have also checked under /lib/modules/ and i find a few version there:

2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i586.

2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE

2.6.30.10-105.2.4.fc11.i686.PAE

Am I doing the right thing?

tks a lot!

Andy

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey again. You need to do a "yum install kernel-headers" or "yum install kernel-dev" or something.

0 Kudos
andyshea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have done "yum install kernel-headers" or "yum install kernel-dev" but both say that I have the latest version installed.

Do you have any suggestion?

tks

Andy

0 Kudos
andyshea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can anyone help please?

tks

Andy

0 Kudos
Toney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you solved the problem? I met this problem too. If you get the way, please tell me. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
andyshea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unfortunately no. i still could not install VMware player on my fedora 11....

0 Kudos
Balasn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this helped me :

yum install kernel-PAE-devel

0 Kudos
Toney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

But unfortunately, It is not working on my laptop....I am finding another method to use it. Now I use Virtual box to instead it.

0 Kudos
Toney
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

But unfortunately, It is not working on my laptop....I am finding another method to use it. Now I use Virtual box to instead it.

0 Kudos