VMware Communities
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how to upgrade/download vmwaretools in ubuntu 10.10

Hi

I installed VMwareplayer 3.1.4 on vista and installed ubuntu 10.10 as guest. Since I am connecting to net through a proxy server (in office) unable to install tools.

Then I copied the tools downloaded at home and installed in ubuntu in office. Whenever I run ubuntu it is asking for downloading tools 8.9.6.

But when I click ok , it shows unable to connect to update server etc.

Since I am connecting to internet via a proxy server, please tell me how to download latest tools?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Whenever I run ubuntu it is asking for downloading tools 8.9.6.

8.9.6 are you sure?  AFAIK the latest for GA Release is 8.4.6.

Have a look at: Re: Where to DL VMware Tools 8.4.6 for Windows 7 x64?

To manually install the VMware Tools download on a Windows Host just untar the tarball and execute the resulting .exe and this will silently install the .iso to the products working directory and will be available when selecting Install VMware Tools from the menu.

For manually installing VMware Tools on a Linux Host have a look at Re: Install vmware tools offline on linux host and Re: Install vmware tools offline on linux host.

Since I am connecting to internet via a proxy server, please tell me how to download latest tools?

You'll need to talk to the Network Administrator for help with your employers Proxy Server.

gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks  WoodyZ,

for your informative reply. Sorry it was 8.4.6 not 8.9.6.

will try and come back to you.

0 Kudos
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ wrote:

Whenever I run ubuntu it is asking for downloading tools 8.9.6.

8.9.6 are you sure?  AFAIK the latest for GA Release is 8.4.6.

Have a look at: Re: Where to DL VMware Tools 8.4.6 for Windows 7 x64?

To manually install the VMware Tools download on a Windows Host just untar the tarball and execute the resulting .exe and this will silently install the .iso to the products working directory and will be available when selecting Install VMware Tools from the menu.

For manually installing VMware Tools on a Linux Host have a look at Re: Install vmware tools offline on linux host and Re: Install vmware tools offline on linux host.

You'll need to talk to the Network Administrator for help with your employers Proxy Server.

Hi WoodyZ,

I could not download the tools from office. So I d/l them at home and copied the tools to /tmp folder and untarred it. When I run the command as mentioned in you above link :

sudo vmware-installer --install-component=vmware-tools-linux-8.4.6-385536.i386.component

it shows "sudo: vmware-installer: command not found". Please tell me how to install the tools?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In your OP you said "I installed VMwareplayer 3.1.4 on vista" so why are you trying to install a package that is meant to be installed on a Linux Host not a Windows Host?

If your Host is Windows Vista and your Guest is Ubuntu Linux then you should be downloading the tools-linux-8.4.6.exe.tar file and follow the directions in my first reply in this thread. "To manually install the VMware Tools download on a Windows Host...".

I included the two links referencing "For manually installing VMware Tools on a Linux Host" for completeness on the overall subject of manually installing VMware Tools on a Host system.

After the target package is installed on the Host system then VMware Tools for the target distro can be installed in the Guest as normal following the directions in the products help file.

0 Kudos
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WoodyZ wrote:

In your OP you said "I installed VMwareplayer 3.1.4 on vista" so why are you trying to install a package that is meant to be installed on a Linux Host not a Windows Host?

If your Host is Windows Vista and your Guest is Ubuntu Linux then you should be downloading the tools-linux-8.4.6.exe.tar file and follow the directions in my first reply in this thread. "To manually install the VMware Tools download on a Windows Host...".

I included the two links referencing "For manually installing VMware Tools on a Linux Host" for completeness on the overall subject of manually installing VMware Tools on a Host system.

After the target package is installed on the Host system then VMware Tools for the target distro can be installed in the Guest as normal following the directions in the products help file.

HI WoodyZ,

oh!, great as mentioned by you, I completed the installation of Tools 8.4.6. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos