VMware Communities
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to update VMwareplayer 3.1.1 build-282343

Hi,

I installed VMwareplayer 3.1.1 build-282343 in win-xp and installed some three Linux based OSes as guest OSes.

Now whenever I try to run VMwareplayer it shows that " Vmware Player 3.1.4 Build 38553 " is available for download.

I have a copy of VMwareplayer 3.1.4 (installation file) with me which I downloaded earlier at some other place.

Please tell me how to update my VMwareplayer,if I update what will happen to my already installed guest OSes?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned, make sure all the VMs are powered off (not suspended) before running the installation. The only thing you may want to do after installation/update is to update the VMware Tools within the virtual machines.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't worry, the installation/update does not touch the VM's. Make sure the VMs are powered off (not suspended) before starting the installation. Basically the installation process will remove the old version, install the new one and reboot the system.

André

gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

Don't worry, the installation/update does not touch the VM's. Make sure the VMs are powered off (not suspended) before starting the installation. Basically the installation process will remove the old version, install the new one and reboot the system.

André

Hi André,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.  As usual you were ready to help people, great quality indeed.Smiley Happy

You mean to say that I can run the exe file of VMwareplayer 3.1.4 directly without affecting VM's to

install/update VMwareplayer?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned, make sure all the VMs are powered off (not suspended) before running the installation. The only thing you may want to do after installation/update is to update the VMware Tools within the virtual machines.

André

0 Kudos
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks will try and come back.

0 Kudos
gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

André

Hi André,

you are a genius, I did as mentioned in your post, the new player is installed without affecting VMs. Thanks.

One more thing left is updating tools. Please tell me I need to update in all the VMs seperately?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One more thing left is updating tools. Please tell me I need to update in all the VMs seperately?

Even though you can configure VMware Player and/or the VMs to update the Tools automatically, it's still a "per VM" installation which has to be done.

André

gramesh1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

Even though you can configure VMware Player and/or the VMs to update the Tools automatically, it's still a "per VM" installation which has to be done.

André

Hi André,

thanks for the reply. Will do it "per VM", thanks again.

0 Kudos