VMware Communities
wolfalexander
Contributor
Contributor

how to delete vmPerfmon.dll during manual uninstall of VMware-player-2.5.1-126130

I'm trying to manually deinstall VMware-player-2.5.1-126130 since install was not completed but hang on Laptop with Windows XP SP3.

I'm following the manual deinstall since the software is not listed in Add/Remove Programs

problem: Manually Cleaning the Registry

Step 5 "Delete the program folder in which the VMware product was installed" fails

Error message: vmPerfmon.dll could not be deleted. Access denied (in german)

Note: I'am logged in as admin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you run the VMware Cleaner utility in that knowledgebase article?

Have you tried re-running the Player installation from a command line with the /c switch?

Robert

0 Kudos
wolfalexander
Contributor
Contributor

Yes

cleaning tool and reboot seems to do not much to the registry keys

the deinstall with /c option - "setup could not find entries in the registry for VMware Player" Smiley Sad

So the software and the keys in the registry are still there..., vmPerfmon.dll still used by a process ...

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

A few suggestions;

- Check if any vmware service are left and running. If so stop and disable them.

- Issue "regsvr32 /u vmperfmon.dll" in player directory. Then try deleting it. If not close explorer.exe in taskmgr and try deleting again from cmd.

- Right click the file and check attributes and permissions.

- Reboot and try deleting.

- And lastly if everything fails, boot a bootdisk and delete the file when your OS is not running (garanteed working).

Joakim

0 Kudos