VMware Communities
pollyp
Contributor
Contributor

how to change range and nat ip defaults?

Hi,

I'm running vmplayer on a SUSE 10.1 host, using NAT networking on the default vmnet8 host virtual adapter. I'd like to change the default NAT ip address and the DHCP range for this adapter, but don't see any obvious way to do that with vmware-config.pl. I've found the config files in /etc/vmware/vmnet8 and have modified them, but they get overwritten every time I start up vmplayer.

How do I change these settings?

Thanks in advance,

-P.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Run the vmware-config.pl script, when prompted to probe for unused private network, answer no and set the IP for the private network

0 Kudos
pollyp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I gave it a try, but the script only gave me the opportunity to change the IP address of the host on the virtual host adapter. It didn't let me change the IP address of the NAT device or the range of IP addresses leased out by the DHCP server. When you check the resulting nat.conf, the NAT gateway IP address is still the default, and I still have the default router IP address and ranges in the dhcpd.conf file.

Any ideas on how I can change these values?

Thanks in advance,

P.

0 Kudos
samwyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
pollyp
Contributor
Contributor

This is tantalizingly close to what I want, but of course SUSE doesn't have anything called vnetlib.exe. :^) Any idea how I could achieve the same effects in Linux?

I do see that I can supply a config file to the isc dhcp server directly, but I'm thinking there has to be a less messy way of doing this.

P.

0 Kudos
pollyp
Contributor
Contributor

I realized that I still had some time on my support clock from my workstation purchase, so I put the question to vmware support. They told me that I can't change the dhcp ip range, and pointed me to this page:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net_nat_dhcp.html

In their response, they didn't say if the NAT device IP address is changeable, but I gather it is not either.

0 Kudos