VMware Communities
rocket888
Contributor
Contributor

full screen mode drops to window mode unexpectedly

Anyone else seeing this one?

I have vmplayer running 2.5.3, and a guest running windows xp pro sp3.

I just installed java. Every time I choose to run the java control panel applet vmware goes out of full screen mode and also brings up it's vmware logo which fades in and out over about 5 seconds (same as when you first bring up a guest). This is quite annoying, as it also affects where all the desktop icons are and you can't do anything until the logo fades away (since you can't tell where the mouse is).

It happens a lot on a windows 2000 guest as well.

The java control panel losing full screen is a repeatable event. The others I've seen are not (or at least I can't remember what led up to it).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This sounds like an issue I've seen where something in the guest uses 3d or OpenGL while we're in fullscreen mode and it causes a reset in the video driver, which causes an exit from fullscreen mode. I don't know if this is the case in your situation, but it sounds like it. Is there any way you can tell Java to not use OpenGL or 3d graphics? Maybe this: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/2d/flags.html ?

0 Kudos
lcoffin
Contributor
Contributor

Any progress on fixing this? This happens *all* the time for me and it is *extremely* frustrating -- when the window switches out of full screen, it switches the client desktop to single window and about 600 x 500 in size. This means all my windows get switched to the same screen and shrunk down. All the desktop icons get rearranged into this space as well (and don't get automatically moved back when the window is expanded). I spend the next 10 minutes having to resize all my windows and moving the appropriate windows back to my second monitor.

We use GoToMeeting a lot, and that uses Java which triggers this problem.

Any idea when a fix will be added? Even if there was a fix that keeps the window from being sized down to 600x500 (keep it at the original size and just make the window scrolling) would be a huge, huge improvement.

---Lawrence

(currently using: 3.0.1 build-227600)

0 Kudos
rocket888
Contributor
Contributor

not fixed in 3.1.2 yet, and I agree totally, this is a pain. In my case, it mostly happens on startup. It seems to get set to the size of one of my smaller windows - often a dialog box that was open when I closed down.

For the icons, I have a tool called iconiod in windows that can remember and restore the positions. But the windows are all resized as you mention.

0 Kudos