VMware Communities
gustavsj
Contributor
Contributor

forward ports when using NAT

We need to forward ports to our vm when using NAT. The only way I know on how to do it is by setting a static ip in  C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetdhcp.conf and then open ports in C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetnat.conf.

The problem is that we use a VM zipped up and ready and distribute it in our office, and need to have a solution to have it already fixed in the zip.

Is it possible to set static ip and forward ports by setting up something in the .vmx file?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

NAT networking address space is the matter of the VMware installation itself. What I have done, I have changed the address space of NAT to be the same in all computers, requiring copies (or move) from a set of VMware computers. This can be done in VMware Networking Config - and probably with those files that you mention.

Unfortunately, VMware Upgrade will change the address space to something random again, usually, and you need to redo the above.

Static ip-address is the matter of the VM and its OS. You can set it in Windows (or another OS) using OS tools. It will, of course, remain in ZIP. When your computer ip is standardized and VMware networking is standardized, you only need to do this once - I expect Port Forwarding to be the same ... more over, the setup is the same for every physical computer. When updating VM computer from a new zip, nothing changes and you don't need to do anything for the networking.

0 Kudos