VMware Communities
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

failed due to file system permissions issues.

Hi All I'm very new at this so please be gentle and explain in layman's terms...I have a new HP G60 -630 Windows 7 Home running 64 bit... I have programs that I need to run on 32 bit...

I have purchased partition software, created a 100 gig separate G drive and downloaded VM Software player 3.1 which I learned about on “how to Geek”; http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/ I followed the instructions, used my registered XP professional service pack two disk ....And the following notice appears

Unable to create a new virtual machine: Access to "G:\Windows XP Professional.vmx" failed due to file system permissions issues.

It is important that I can run these 32 bit programs and finding a simple solution that can be added to my existing Windows 7 Home premium computer. Please to who have the understanding of this problem send, email call with help!!!!

Thanks to all for helping the new guy

Christopher, cmlove2003@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
13 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Christopher,

Welcome to the forums.

You can try to run VMware Player as an administrator. Right click on the Player's icon, select "Run as administrator".

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Franck...yes as administrator I started the installation process...But I get a blue screen with Stop; c0000221 unknown hard error\systemRoot/system32\ntdll.ll

I first tried loading in the partition drive g....after the error message I tried loading in c where it suggested but same thing stop .......Now I have 2 partially installed programs floating inside my new computer? I've done a search at least what I can understand and most recommend reinstalling Windows 7 repair from disk, well, I don't have a disk, computer came pre-loaded. I can go to a restore point but what am I missing please? One article said it was a driver problem??/

Believe it or not but I have been working on this for about a month...including Office Depot and Best Buy Geeks...On other web pages most IT people say installing XP on partitioned drive is not a problem but know one seems to explain how to fix or be prepared for these little glitches. This XP professional disc I have has worked fine on my other older computers no problems?

I hate taking your time but I'm sure you can read the desperation and frustration as well as my lack of understanding above the basics about computers.....

Thanks again in advance for what ever advice or direction you can pass on..

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

First of all: is your Player working now? Just click on the VMware Player icon and check if it starts well.

Then close it. Right click on its icon and start the Player as Administrator, not the installer.

You can then try to create a simple VM, without using the Easy Install Process. Attach your XP CD disk to the VM and boot it.

Let us know what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.

Franck

0 Kudos
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

Once again thank you for the response ....now....How do I do that attach my XP to the VM?? I looked at the help file and wasn't sure what I was reading.

I had system restore and had to reload VM and it is working fine...What didn't go away was the partial installations on G partition drive and c my base drive...Where will XP go now since it wouldn't reinstall over what was already there and not working c0000221 unknown Hard Error

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

One more thing? Do I need to set up a duel boot system? Or does your software ask me which operating system I want?

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it again .....the only way I know using the installer after cleaning out the G partition and same notice; Stop c0000221

Please when you can explain how to manually try and install XP...

Thanks once more

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Boot your Windows 7 physical machine.

Check that G: is NTFS and you have enough free space.

Start your player as Administrator.

Create a new VM, select Install the OS later.

Select Windows XP.

Give your VM a name. Select the storage location like "G:\MyXPVm". All files necessary to create the VM will be stored there.

When the VM is generated, insert your original CD in the drive and attach it to the VM using Virtual machine settings, CD/DVD configuration.

Then boot your VM and install the new system.

You will not have a dual boot machine. It will be possible to run both OS at the same time.

Good luck

Franck

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have purchased partition software, created a 100 gig separate G drive

Why would you purchase partitioning software when there is free partitioning software available much less Windows 7 itself can dynamically resize a volume on the hard drive and therefore no additional partitioning software is needed, paid or free.

and downloaded VM Software player 3.1 which I learned about on “how to Geek”; http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/ I followed the instructions

Nowhere in those instructions does it require repartitioning the Host's hard drive nor do you need to if just creating a normal file based Virtual Machine.

used my registered XP professional service pack two disk ....And the following notice appears

Unable to create a new virtual machine: Access to "G:\Windows XP Professional.vmx" failed due to file system permissions issues.

What happens if you try to create the Virtual Machine on the C: Drive in a folder in your Documents?

0 Kudos
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Franck....I followed your instructions exactly and still the blue screen and same error messsage. Have you come across this before?

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

Woody to answer the first is inexperiance about software...the second part I tried as you suggested and the same error report came up.....Any other suggestions or know whatg the error stop:c0000221 Unknown Hard Error\systemRoot\system32\ntdll,dll means???

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
cmlove
Contributor
Contributor

thanks.....

Best Regards,

Christopher Love

0 Kudos
RBXXGAMER
Contributor
Contributor

Same I also have this problem, although i think mine is obvious cuz i use network drives, and i also get the same error message when creating a vm, and running it as admin does not work as it doesn't show my drive at all, running it without admin lets me see the drive but although i dont have enough permissions to create virtual machines on it

0 Kudos