VMware Communities
dascnjwk
Contributor
Contributor

failed VMWare Tools update in Ubuntu, lost shared folders, help?

I'm not sure what's going on but after VMWare Player prompted me to update my VMWare Tools in Ubuntu, it didn't update successfully. Now if I click on Player -> Manage, I see "(Stopping VMWare Tools installation)" but it's greyed out, and I can't cancel it or redo the installation.

How can I reinstall VMWare Tools properly? There is a vmware-tools-distrib on the desktop. I have gone into it and tried "sudo ./vmware-install.pl - d", and it will finish installing with no error message. After I reboot though, I still see the greyed out "(Stopping VMWare Tools installation)" under Player -> Manage.

Update: I have restarted Vmware Player, deleted the old vmware-tools-distrib folder, restarted the Vmware Tools installation process, and everything finished as expected, but I still do not have shared folders back. They just disappeared under /mnt/hgfs. Any ideas?

Update: another page says vmware tools is supposed to have added the following in fstab, but I don't have it:

.host:/   /mnt/hgfs   vmhgfs   defaults,ttl=5   0 0

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dascnjwk
Contributor
Contributor

Looked at various pages that try to deal with this problem, but none of it worked. I had to use a different VM software.

0 Kudos