VMware Communities
rguf57
Contributor
Contributor

exit win player took 20 mins

I opened a 60GB win7 image on external hd(usb 2) and when I exited the player it took 20 mins to complete saving state.  I am new to vm so not sure if this is normal behavior?  What does the player have to write in order to persist image changes?  Seems like the entire 60GB?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

how did you exit the Player. Maybe the VM went into suspend mode. In this case it would write the memory to a file on disk which - in case of a USB drive - could take some time. Do you see a vmss file in the VM's folder on your USB disk? Which files do you see there?

André

0 Kudos
rguf57
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre,

To exit, I believe I just did File->Exit.  I don't recall any other options, e.g. Suspend.  I just installed the free player 3.1.3 on Vista host and opened the vm.  I haven't changed any defaults.

I don't have the machine in front of me right now, so I will send another reply later with the file list in the vm folder.

0 Kudos
rguf57
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you were correct, apparently I suspended my session.  After I looked in the vm folder for the files you mentioned, I found the Preferences menu item and saw that the default was set up to Suspend, not power off.  I changed that and exited again.  This time it was very fast to exit.  I checked the files in the vm folder after and the vmss and vmem files were gone.  I still have a slow response issue, which I believe is simply not enough memory between Vista host and the Windows 7 vm.  I plan to try ReadyBoost flash drive and see if that helps.

Thanks,

0 Kudos