VMware Communities
dfstrottersfan
Contributor
Contributor

error when running vmplayer

When running a virtual machine in the latest 4.0.3 build-703057 of VMware Player everything is OK until (I think) the XP Virtual machine I am running goes to screen saver.   

Anyhow I get the text box

"Are you sure you want to power off the virtual machine and exit? Please make sure the virtual machine is in a safe state for shutdown; abruptly powering off can damage data. When possible, shut down your virtual machine with its operating system."

I say no and the box appears again and again and again......

Shutting down the virtual machine and then restarting it has no effect the XP login icons appear but when clicking into the VM the same text box appears each time I click the mouse.

I am not certain that it happens when the VM XP  screen saver  kicks in but it seems to happen after a period of inactivity in the VM.

The only fix seems to be to reboot the base machine ( W7 64 home premium 8GB 4 CPUs 3.2 GHz)

Are there any settings that I can make to stop this behaviour.    btw it does not seem to be a function of the virtual machine , if I run another virtual machine I get the same effect.

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

please double check you don't have any power saving options enabled in the VM. This might cause such issues.

André

dfstrottersfan
Contributor
Contributor

thanks I'll try that I did have a power saving option to switch off the monitor

0 Kudos
dfstrottersfan
Contributor
Contributor

thanks that worked

0 Kudos