VMware Communities
Ckausch1
Contributor
Contributor

difficulties with file transfer to virtual machine running VMware 12 player

I am running VMware 12 on a windows 10 machine.   I am trying to transfer files to the virtual machine desktop.  I have tried the cut/paste, and the Drag and drop method. I have intermittent issues transferring files.  When a file transfer hangs up, I am unable to abort, I must restart my PC. How can i successfully transfer files, and is there a way to abort unsuccessful file transfers?  the windows task manager does not terminate the operation

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Wwing
Contributor
Contributor

I've had this problem with my Win10 laptop, trying to paste a file from the host clipboard into the VM sends the VM into never never land, from where I have to pull the plug to get back. ...then find and delete the .lck files, reboot the host and then reboot the VM. The solution for me was to use a Shared Folder...Player/Manage/VM Settings/Options/Shared Folders...put your files from the host into the shared folder on the host side, and Voila!, there they in the shared folder on the VM side. A bit of a hassle I know, my Windows 8.1 machine doesn't behave this way, but it works for me. I made my Shared Folder a folder in DropBox, so that, even though my VM OS no longer is supported by DropBox, the files still appear in that folder on the VM side...

0 Kudos