VMware Communities
SuperPippo
Contributor
Contributor

dedicated virtual sessions

hello all,

I'm not sure this is the best section for this question but I'll give it a go.

We have a physical windows server that we use as a terminal server to host user sessions used for either browsing the internet or use some applications, nothing too complicated.

This terminal server is only reachable through https as it passes through the internet (the server only has a single ip address).

I would like now to modify this setup and switch to virtual desktop. Because of budget (which does not really exist), I'm looking for a freeware solution.

The question is: what setup should be done in order that user would be able to connect directly to their own guest without accessing the host (considering we have a single ip address). would that be feasible ?

I would think of vmware server or ace workstation. Any ideas ?

Thanks and Regards,

SP

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chyang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For Windows, if you use Remote Desktop (RDP), you should be able to reach individual guest without accessing the guest.

Remember, each guest has its own IP address, therefore, you can distribute those IP addresses to users, and they can RDP in even without knowing it's virtual or real machine.

The only thing you need to make sure is that each guest has their own IP address. If it's internal IP, then you need to use a firewall to setup SNAT routing. It should be really simple.

0 Kudos