VMware Communities
ddrennan
Contributor
Contributor

connecting to VM over network

I have the trixbox VM (guest) running on VMplayer on WinXP (host). The ethernet interface is setup as Bridged.

The host and the guest can ping each other with no problems, but nothing beyond the host machine (i.e. anything on the real network) can see the VM. Also the VM cannot see anything beyond the host.

I setup the guest with a static IP. Not sure if it is relevant, but the host machine's network card is an nForce controller.

I've also turned all the firewalls off, tried uninstalling (and cleaning with VMplayer_cleaner), and reinstalling, but still no progress.

I suspect one of two things, 1) there is a routing issue (i.e. packets don't know how to get to the VM), or 2) there is a network card issue (i.e. network card not operating in promiscuous mode - which I assume it must?)

What can I try?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ddrennan
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, some more info before I get asked....the VMware bridge protocol box is ticked for my local connection

0 Kudos
ddrennan
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I loaded VMplayer onto another machine and had absolutely no problems[/b].

I'm guessing this is an issue with the nForce controller - how can I resolve this?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Install the nVidia software so that you can configure or disable the hardware firewall in the nForce chip.

0 Kudos
ddrennan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that worked.

0 Kudos