VMware Communities
iawelch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cinnamon mint olivia vmplayer can't find kernel headers

unfortunately, the vmware player (VMware-Player-2.5.5-328052.x86_64.bash) no longer seems to work under cinnamon mint olivia.  (for the record, I purchased a couple of vmware pay products over the years, too.)

I do have the build essentials installed and the kernel,

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

which is now 3.8.0-19-generic (from 'uname -r', i.e., the current standard version), and I did try the workaround,

ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/linux/version.h

but /usr/bin/vmplayer cannot find the header files to reinstall itself.  I tried reinstalling the bash script (oops, I mean bundle), but this does not help either.

by the way, there was another long-standing bug in the linux (ubuntu) version: the authorization module was not working.  so, it would prompt repeatedly for the root password, but never accept it.  to fix this, one had to first become su, then run it once from the command line so it could recompile the modules, and then it worked fine.

so, now I am totally stuck.  any advice?

sincerely,

/iaw

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware-Player-2.5.5 is no longer supported and while not officially supported as a Host OS (Linux Mint) nonetheless you should be able to get the latest release of VMware Player to install with the known tweaks/workarounds.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware-Player-2.5.5 is no longer supported and while not officially supported as a Host OS (Linux Mint) nonetheless you should be able to get the latest release of VMware Player to install with the known tweaks/workarounds.

0 Kudos
iawelch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

duh.  mea culpa.

thanks.  works now.

/iaw

0 Kudos
iawelch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

actually, here is how I fell into this.  searching on google for "download vmware player", the first link that pops up is

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html

which points to 2.5.5.  if anyone from vmware is reading this, please put a big notice on this page "2.5.5 is obsolete."

/iaw

0 Kudos