VMware Communities
ploopy
Contributor
Contributor

cant install vmware tools

im running vmware player 5 and cant upgrade vmware tools for any vms my host is vista sp2

There was a problem updating a software component. Try again later and if the problem persists, contact VMware Support or your system administrator.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

to see whether this helps, try to remove the old VMware Tools from one of the VM's manually (Add/Remove Programs), then reboot the VM and try to install the new VMware Tools.

André

0 Kudos
ploopy
Contributor
Contributor

it doesnt have it installed at all

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What version of VMware Player 5.x are you using?

What Guest OSes are you using?

0 Kudos
ploopy
Contributor
Contributor

xp sp3 most of the time

idk the .x, but i know that it is 5.x

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I need to know the exact version of VMware Player you're using so i can provide you a link to the correct version of VMware Tools! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, I don't have time to wait for you to tell me which version of VMware Player 5.x so this covers the current VMware Player 5.x releases...

As a workaround to whatever is causing the issue, download the Guest Appropriate Tarball and untar  it.  Then execute the resultant executable and this will silently install the VMware Tools ISO Image File to the Working Directory of the VMware Product.  There will be no overt indication, hence "this will  silently install..." however you should then be able to install VMware Tools the Virtual Machine normally.  If it will not install normally then you can attach the Guest OS Specific VMware Tools ISO Image to the CD/DVD and start the install in the Guest from there.

For VMware Player 5.0.2 Build 1031769 - VMware Tools Installer Packages for Windows Host Systems

Guest OS VMware Tools

For VMware Player 5.0.1 Build 894247 - VMware Tools Installer Packages for Windows Host Systems

Guest OS VMware Tools

For VMware Player 5.0.0 Build 812388 - VMware Tools Installer Packages for Windows Host Systems

Guest OS VMware Tools

0 Kudos