VMware Communities
rocket888
Contributor
Contributor

cannot go fullscreen with dual monitors (without quick hands)

Problem: If I try to go fullscreen, I have to select the dual monitor button within a few seconds or the attempt fails. I cannot go fullscreen on just one monitor.

Has anyone seen these symtoms and/or have a fix?

Details:

I am using the 3.1.4 player (just upgraded to see if this would fix it). I'm running on 32 bit ubuntu 10.04. My guest is windows xp sp2.

I have an geforce 6200 hooked up to two monitors. One is 1280x1024  and the other is 1680x1050. The problem occurs with either monitor set on the left side of the other - ie I tried changing their positions from l-r to r-l with the same result. I also set the larger monitor to 1280x1024 with the same results.

If I position vmware player in windowed mode on either monitor (fully on that monitor) and try to run fullscreen it messes up. Here's what it does:

It goes fullscreen on the other monitor for about 2-4 seconds, and then flips back to window mode on the original monitor. It appears that it's when it's trying to resize the guest that this happens.

I can run in unity mode and I can stretch the window across both monitor creating a large window.

If I disable the smaller monitor, it works just fine.

If I am quick enough to click the dual monitor button in the toolbar at the top before it switches back to windowed mode, I can run in dual monitor mode for the player - ie the windows guest will use both monitors in fullscreen mode.

If I click the dual monitor button while in dual mode, it then briefly goes into full screen on one monitor, and then flips back to the other monitor as a window.

I have tried both the settings of use the host's idea of the displays, and the manual setup with no differences.

Any ideas, or is this something I must live with?

0 Kudos
0 Replies