VMware Communities
golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

can i fix it?

hi everyone,

i was running windows xp on vmware player. And then my harddisk damaged. I copied some of my .vmdk files from damaged harddisk to new solid state disk. But i can't copied some each of my .vmdk files. i can't running my virtual machine on vmware player.

Error while powering on: Unable to open file "C:\Users\Tunahan\Documents\Windows XP Professional\Windows XP Professional.vmdk":

how can i fix it ?

i have got a Windows xp professional.vmdk (size  : 3kb),

and

Windows xp professional-s001.vmdk(size : 2gb)

Windows xp professional-s003.vmdk(size : 320 kb)

Windows xp professional-s004.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s005.vmdk(378kb)

Windows xp professional-s006.vmdk(781 kb)

Windows xp professional-s007.vmdk(2gb)

Windows xp professional-s008.vmdk(2gb)

Windows xp professional-s012.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s015.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s016.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s017.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s018.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s019.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s020.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s021.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s022.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s023.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s024.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s025.vmdk(320kb)

Windows xp professional-s026.vmdk(320kb)

0 Kudos
13 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

basically you need to re-create the missing s00x files by e.g.copying one of the 320kB files. However, depending on the provisioned size of the virtual disk and whether it was resized you may do more than just copying files. Please post (attach) the "Windows xp professional.vmdk" to your next reply post.

André

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just a word of caution so as not to unrealistically get your hopes up... While replacing the missing extents can at times work, nonetheless it is not an absolute fix in all cases!  You have at least 6 extents missing and I suspect more then that, however can't be sure until you attach the "Windows xp professional.vmdk" or the vmware.log file.  Also if the missing extents contained more then the create size of 320 KB then it becomes more problematic and greatly lessens the likelihood of full recovery however you might be able to mount the disk and attempt to recover some user data.  The likelihood of having a working virtual machine is slim to none.

Otherwise if you don't have a proper backup to restore from you'll need to create a new virtual machine and reinstall everything.

golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

thank u andre,

how to re-create my missing s00x files? my .vmdk file in attach.

Tunahan

0 Kudos
golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

thanks,

i try mount Wimdows xp professional.vmdk with vmware diskmount utility.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware DiskMount Utility>vmware-mount.exe x: "C:\Users\Tunahan\Documents\Windows XP Professional\Windows XP Professional.vmdk" /v1
Unable to mount the virtual disk.  The disk may be in use by a virtual machine or mounted under another drive letter.  If not, verify that the disk is a virtual disk file, and that the disk file has not been corrupted.
if it can't run vmware, i must take my projects at least.
Tunahan.
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay your missing 6 extents and you can try copying a 320KB size extent to the missing extents.

As and example copy "Windows XP Professional-s003.vmdk" to "Windows XP Professional-s002.vmdk" etc.

0 Kudos
golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

my vmware.log file in attach.

0 Kudos
golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

how can i do this? with vmware utilities? also i m checking disk system with automatically fix file system errors on my hard disk.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can't try and mount it until you replace the missing extents as it absoutly cannot be mounted with any of the extents missing and you ave 6 missing!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

how can i do this? with vmware utilities?

You do it the same way you'd copy any other file in Windows Explorer.  Copy the file and rename it.

also i m checking disk system with automatically fix file system errors on my hard disk.

That's not going to fix anything reguarding this virtual hard disk!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The operative word in the request was "or" not both... "however can't be sure until you attach the "Windows xp professional.vmdk" or the vmware.log file" so only needed one or the other to verify how may extents were missing. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

how can i do this? with vmware utilities?

You do it the same way you'd copy any other file in Windows Explorer.  Copy the file and rename it.

also i m checking disk system with automatically fix file system errors on my hard disk.

That's not going to fix anything reguarding this virtual hard disk!

i don't understand how to copy the file? i copied my virtual system yesterday, but other .vmdk files couldn't copy. how to copy it ?

0 Kudos
golazo19
Contributor
Contributor

sorry i understand how to do Smiley Happy i try it. vmware open but black screen and this write :

A disk read error occurred.

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As I already said "The likelihood of having a working virtual machine is slim to none." so if you've replaced the missing extents then try mounting the disk for the express purpose of trying to recover any user data that you can.  Otherwise as I also previously said... "Otherwise if you don't have a proper backup to restore from you'll need  to create a new virtual machine and reinstall everything."! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos