VMware Communities
VTBurtonRA
Contributor
Contributor

all USB devices constantly disconnect and reconnect

Host OS is OpenSUSE v15.4.  Running VMWare Workstation Player 17.0.2 build-21581411.

I have about a dozen VMs, all have worked for years with no issues.  VMs include Windows 11 (2), Ubuntu (3), OpenSUSE (3), etc.

Last night, I installed the latest patches on the OpenSUSE host system, including a kernel upgrade from 5.14.21-150400.24.81-default to 5.14.21-150400.24.84-default.  Following the kernel upgrade, VMWare Workstation Player reinstalled the kernel modules, no errors.  Following that kernel upgrade, on all of the VMs regardless of OS, if I attempt to connect any USB device to the VM, that USB device starts constantly disconnecting and reconnecting.  If I go to Virtual Machine --> Removable Devices I do see all of my USB devices.  If I watch the USB device that I connected in Virtual Machine --> Removable Devices, and mouse over the USB device I attempted to attach, I see it connect and disconnect several times per second.  The OpenSUSE host OS also sees the USB device disconnect and reconnect, just as it would if I manually connected the USB device to the VM, and then manually disconnected it back to the host.

USB devices include things like a Logitech Webcame C920e, Corsair void elite wirelsss headset dongle, and several other devices.  It does not matter which I pick - any of them - on any virtual machine, running any OS.  As soon as I connect that USB device to the VM, it immediately connects, disconnects back to the host, connects to the VM again, disconnects, etc., several times per second.

I've tried a few things, none of which have made any difference.  I added this line to the .vmx file for one of the VMs, no difference:

usb.generic.keepStreamsEnabled = "FALSE"

I tried deleting the USB controller in Virtual Machine Settings and then adding it back again, tried USB Compatibility of USB 3.1, USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 - no difference, same behavior on all VMs and with all USB devices.

I really need to get some of these USB devices connected to the VMs.  I would appreciate any help or suggestions on this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies