VMware Communities
we9603
Contributor
Contributor

You may not install this product on a network drive

I am having problems running an vm image from a network drive. When I launch the vm player (locally installed on C:\) and access the image on the network I get the following error: "Failed to open the virtual image. You do not have access rights to this file". I have checked permssions on the folder in the network and I am able to manually create files inside of it.

To bypass this problem I have attempted to install the player on the network drive thinking that perhaps having the player in the network vs the local C:\ might get me past this. However when I tried to install the player on the network I got the following error: "You may not install this product on a network drive". Is that right? I cannot install the player on a network drive?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

why would you want to install player on a network-drive ? - makes no sense to me.

Instead check permissions - running VMs from network should work

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
we9603
Contributor
Contributor

It was meant as a test to see if it made a difference to get past the initial issue which was: "Failed to open virtual machine. You do not have access rights to this file."

This error happened w/ the vm stored on the network and the vm player loaded locally (C:\). I am able to manually create files on the location where the vm resides. The issue seems to be that for some reason the player cannot launch the vm.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

post the vmware.log please

0 Kudos
we9603
Contributor
Contributor

Where is the vmware.log located at? I did a search on the directory where I installed the vmplayer and did not find it. I see an View Messages menu item under the Help Menu but its greyed out. I am running the latest version of vmplayer downloaded from the vmware site on a windows 7 workstation.

0 Kudos
hstagner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello we9603,

The vmware log is going to be in "%userprofile%\application data\vmware", IIRC. As for the network install of vmware player. It will not work.

Don't forget to mark this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful (you'll get points too).

Regards,

Harley Stagner

VCP3, VCP4

----------------------------------------- Don't forget to mark this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful (you'll get points too). Regards, Harley Stagner VCP3/4, VCAP-DCD4/5, VCDX3/4/5 Website: http://www.harleystagner.com Twitter: hstagner
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the vmware.log can be found in the directory where you created the VM

0 Kudos