VMware Communities
NickVS-61
Contributor
Contributor

Xserver virtualization problem on old Linux Distribution (RedHat 6.1 - Cartman)

Hi-I recently resurrected an old Linux machine from Clonezilla disk archives into to VMWare Player 15 VM.   The process went surprisingly smoothly, especially considering that it was quite a complex boot/mount system on the old machine (multiple partitions spread across 2 physical hard drives).  Anyway, it booted up first time with an unmodified LILO bootloader configuration and mostly works very well.  The only thing I have not managed to get working is X.   The RedHat 6.1 Cartman distribution runs X11R6 3.3.x     I attach a screen grab of the startx startup screen - looks like the X server does not not get a positive indication that any of the screen modes is supported by the VM.

So has anyone out there managed to get old versions of X to work in VM Player?   If so, can you tell me what XF86_ server you used (the Mach64 one in the screen grab was from the original machine that had an ATI Rage card in it, but I could probably find  others like S3, VGA16, SVGA  etc if I knew which ones worked with the VM).  Also if you have a working XF86Config file you would be willing to share, I would be very grateful.

BTW, I have not been able to load the VMWare Linux tools on this system, because for some reason the Perl  install script fails.   Because of the age of the base system, I'm also not sure that the installed files would be safe to install in any case...

Many thanks!

Nick

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies