VMware Communities
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jump to solution

Xbox controller problem connecting

Hello, I have a host and a guest machine running Windows 11. I am trying to connect to the VM my xbox one controller. I have read some discussions here on the communities that suggest going from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 in the VM settings. I tried it but not luck. On the VM, I have checked Device Manager and everything seems installed correctly, I can see Xbox Peripherals -> Xbox One Controller as a device, no yellow marks. If I go to Settings -> Bluetooth and devices -> Devices I can also see there a device called Controller and a green dot which indicates the device must be OK. But on the controller the Xbox button keeps flashing and I don't get any input which obviously means the controller is not connected. I have installed VMWare Tools.

Any suggestion on what else I can try?

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jump to solution

I forgot to mention that I use a USB cable to connect it to the VM. But problem solved by only updating the firmware of the controller. Did the update, deleted the controller from the Windows VM, reconnected it and it worked. And now it works with both a USB cable and with the wireless adapter that comes with it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jump to solution

I think you are in the wrong website. I don't need help with a console but with a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I don't own an Xbox One controller (gives you an indea of the knowledge that I have or lack thereof about them). I assume you are connecting via Bluetooth and not via wired USB.

Does the Xbox One Device Controller appear as a Human Interface Device in the Device Manager on the host? As you have the "Show all input devices" checked, does the Xbox controller show up as a device in the Removable Devices menu to connect to the VM directly? If so try connecting the Xbox controller directly to the VM.

If that doesn't work, the alternative is uncheck the "Share Bluetooth device with virtual machine". This may not work for all Bluetooth adapters (i.e. it may not show up in the Removable Devices menu). I have a laptop with a Qualcomm BT adapter it does not show up but an Intel Bluetooth adapter on a desktop does.

Assuming the Bluetooth adapter of the host appears as a device in Removable Devices menu, you could try connecting the Bluetooth adapter directly to the VM (which also means any BT device that is paired to the host will be disconnected) and then pair the controller directly to the VM (instead of through the host with the shared option).

Another difference between the shared Bluetooth and direct Bluetooth to VM is potentially the Bluetooth version. The shared Bluetooth, the "Generic Bluetooth adapter" in Device Manager supports only BT2.1 (but I don't see Bluetooth in your VM Device Manager screenshot, should come after "Batteries" alphabetically); with the direct VM connected BT adapter you can install the native Bluetooth device driver and it should support whatever Bluetooth version it natively supports.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jump to solution

I forgot to mention that I use a USB cable to connect it to the VM. But problem solved by only updating the firmware of the controller. Did the update, deleted the controller from the Windows VM, reconnected it and it worked. And now it works with both a USB cable and with the wireless adapter that comes with it.

0 Kudos