VMware Communities
OldMan7
Contributor
Contributor

XP will not boot

I'm a newby and having problems. I am running Windows 7 home premium in 64 bit mode and installed VM Player with no problems. I then installed XP Professional. My problem is that XP will not boot up. It starts to go thru the boot cycle and then I get a blue screen message that flashes on the screen very quickly followed by a black screen asking if I want to start in safe mode, normal mode, or last known good configuration. All options result in the same routine of start, blue screen, then black screen. I captured a copy of the blue screen message and it is attached. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi and welcome

can you post the vm x-file from that machine ? - I guess you createda VM with a SCSI-disk where the drivers are missing ?

Or do you use a OEM-Cd ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
OldMan7
Contributor
Contributor

I used the OEM CD. It is a 4year old Gateway PC that I recently updated to Windows 7. I am trying to run the XP to use some legacy software.

0 Kudos
OldMan7
Contributor
Contributor

Is this the file file you requested?

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

0x7B is "inaccessible boot device". If you search http://msdn.microsoft.com for "stop 0x0000007b error", you'll find some Microsoft KB articles with troubleshooting information.

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I used the OEM CD. It is a 4year old Gateway PC that I recently updated to Windows 7. I am trying to run the XP to use some legacy software.

It's possible that that disc is customize only for certain Gateway PCs. Try to find a generic disc.

0 Kudos