VMware Communities
testdriving
Contributor
Contributor

XP install requires "Windows XP Professional-cl1-000002.vmdk"

While installing the VMware on my laptop, I received an "file not found" error for "Windows XP Professional-cl1-000002.vmdk".

The installation of the application was fine and it wasnt until I tried to start an *.vmx file.

Please help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

More details, please... VMware product? Host OS? How are you installing an XP guest?

0 Kudos
testdriving
Contributor
Contributor

the VMware version is VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.

I am trying to install it on Windows XP Sp 2.

I am assuming that it is some type of client for VPN access to another network. I also assume that it is as a XP guest as well.

Hope this helps?...

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

So... Player installed successfully? You can launch it?

How did you create your guest VM that you are trying to start?

Have you tried the Browser Appliance VM?

0 Kudos
testdriving
Contributor
Contributor

player is installed, and the launch does not fully complete.

I am clicking an imported .vmx icon, and I get the file error when that attempts to load.

It does ask me to browse for the file, but I know it's not there.

So I guess there is no guest user setup, but I think it assumes that my .vmx is a guest???

Not really sure. First time using this product. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, Player by itself cannot create or edit any guests... you must obtain one from somewhere (or use a 3rd party utility to create your own). See the Virtual Appliance Marketplace to download any of hundreds of pre-built guests. http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/index.html

testdriving
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks... I am looking at the Virtual Appliances right now, but I am assuming that the file is used or created by the Virtual Appliance?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, the file you mention, "Windows XP Professional-cl1-000002.vmdk", would be a (part of) virtual disk file for a VM. Not knowing anything about where that VM came from, I can't give you any better answers.

testdriving
Contributor
Contributor

Through your support and a little more research on my side, I understand how this works now. Thank you for you help.

0 Kudos