VMware Communities
cyberkraze
Contributor
Contributor

XP and Ubuntu 11.04 in Unity Mode not working

Hi All,

I have been using vmplayer for a year or so with XP as host and Ubuntu as guest OS and am quite happy with it. I recently read about Unity (not the UI from Ubuntu but the mode from Vmplayer) and wanted to give it a shot.

For some reason, I just cant get unity mode to work. In full screen mode, the link under "Virtual Machine" for "Enter Unity" is greyed out. When I get out of full screen mode, the link is available, but on clicking it, I get the following message.

"The virtual machine cannot enter unity mode. Check that Unity is supported for this guest operating system and the latest version of vmware tools is installed."

I know that the latest version of vmware tools is installed and also that ubuntu can work in unity mode (via youtube videos). What am I doing wrong? BTW, I had the same issue with Linux Mint 11. I have not tried any other flavour of linux.

Thanks,

Ajay

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cyberkraze
Contributor
Contributor

Figured it out...

the user __vmware_user__ need admin privileges or at least more privileges than it had by default to be able to login to the local machine. I put the user into the admin group and unity started working fine. Smiley Happy

-Ajay

0 Kudos
HJWasson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the followup post!

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Huh, that's interesting. Glad you figured it out!! =:)

0 Kudos