VMware Communities
AnotherDummy
Contributor
Contributor

Wrong Applications Menu in Unity Mode

I'm using Player (3.0.1 build-227600) on Win7 32bit to explore a couple of Ubuntu distributions, one Gnome, and one KDE (Backtrack4). I created both virtual machines as ubuntu.

For each guest, when I enter unity mode, the applications menu bears little resemblance to the guest OS's applications menu when I'm not in unity. How can I control the unity mode applications menu for a Gnome or KDE Linux guest?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi there. Can you clarify what you mean? Maybe screenshots would help. Thanks! =:)

0 Kudos
AnotherDummy
Contributor
Contributor

I think I can do that.

I am attaching shots of the menus for Ubuntu Desktop (Gnome) both in and out of unity.

0 Kudos
AnotherDummy
Contributor
Contributor

...and here are the BackTrack4 (KDE) shots.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ahhh, okay, yeah, I see what you're talking about. Thanks for the screenshots!

Yes, you're right that right now the host-side Unity applications launcher menus are organized/categorized differently than they are in the guest. We do have an open bug for this internally and will be looking at a fix for this. Sorry for the inconvenience. =:(

0 Kudos
AnotherDummy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

In the mean time, is there a workaround? I'd really like to get the things like the "BackTrack" menu (or custom sub-menus) to show up in Unity Mode.

Also, is there any word on if the fix will be in the next release? Is there a scheule for that?

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There's currently no way to have the exact same menu structure as the guest show up in the host-side Unity helper launch menu, no. Like I said, we're aware of this problem and have an open bug filed about it, but I can't speak to when/what release we're going to be able to get that in, sorry. =:/

AnotherDummy
Contributor
Contributor

Well thanks for your help anyway. I guess I'll just have to watch and wait.

I'll close this thread, because sometimes the answer is "no."

0 Kudos