VMware Communities
stevevmplayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation player 15.5.1 identified as Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A threat by Windows Defender

Trying to install Workstation Player downloaded from UK site from Download VMware Workstation Player | VMware | UK

Microsoft Defender identifies part of the contents of the download as Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A

Threat detected: Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A

file: D:\xxxxxx\VMware-player-15.5.1-15018445.exe->(MSISfx)->Player.cab->_EFI64.ROM->TrEEConfigPei

Windows Defender definitions  dated 31/01/2020 12:53

Windows 10 Pro x64

Could VMware provide a hash for the installer so we can verify and whitelist it, until MS can patch their antivirus definitions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevevmplayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou. I wouldn't have found that without your screenshot. The download details/hash are not visible without an account and navigating circuitous links.

For the benefit of others:

click Products-->All Products & Programs --> All Products (despite it being a free product, do not click "Trial and free products" as this takes you to the bare download page with no hash)

Scroll down/search the page for VMware Workstation Player. Click "View Download Components".

Now click Show details as per below post.

Many thanks

(it would still be in VMware's interest to have the false positive with Defender remedied)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you look at the details of the download on the download page, they have both MD5 and SHA1 checksums provided.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
stevevmplayer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou. I wouldn't have found that without your screenshot. The download details/hash are not visible without an account and navigating circuitous links.

For the benefit of others:

click Products-->All Products & Programs --> All Products (despite it being a free product, do not click "Trial and free products" as this takes you to the bare download page with no hash)

Scroll down/search the page for VMware Workstation Player. Click "View Download Components".

Now click Show details as per below post.

Many thanks

(it would still be in VMware's interest to have the false positive with Defender remedied)

0 Kudos