VMware Communities
Silencerbob
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Player 16.x bootet image nicht unter Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Hallo,

ich bin neu hier. Ich habe Ubuntu 20.04 LTS installiert und darauf VMWare Workstation Player 16.1. Dann habe ich ein .iso mit Win10 64bit eingespielt. Nach dem scheinbar erfolgreichen anlegen der virtuellen Maschine kommt nach betätigen von "Power on" nur kurz das VMWare Zeichen, dann schließt die Anwendung wieder.

Das ganze habe ich auch schon unter Ubuntu 18.04 LTS probiert mit demselben Ergebnis.

Auch  mit Workstation Player 16.0 funktioniert es nicht.

Auch mit einer Win 7 VM funktioniert es nicht.

Meine CPU ist ein i7-3770K (Ivy Bridge), das müsste eigentlich auch funktionieren lt. Kompatibilitätsliste.

Ubuntu 20.04 sollte auch kompatibel sein zu VM Workstation Player 16.x

16GB Arbeitsspeicher installiert und auf der SSD sind 600 GiB frei.

Jemand eine Idee?

Wie kann ich mehr über die Ursache herausfinden?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Is there a vmware.log file in the VM folder?
Does it get updated when you try to boot?

If that's the case, then please attach it to a reply here.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Sorry for the answer in English, but I guess google translator works ...

In my experience, VMware 16.x requires BIOS setups for virtualization. They were not required with earlier versions. That should solve the boot problem as such ... but ...

However, with Ubuntu 20.04.1, I have NOT got VMware 16.x or 15.x to work after booting. They are very, VERY slow and even getting logged in takes too long, if it would ever finish.

It seems that Ubuntu 20.04.1 is not supported, after 8 months of its release ... I have had the same question here open for a week and nobody seems to be able to answer. Perhaps too embarrassing to admit a problem like this ... or what is the deal?

0 Kudos
Silencerbob
Contributor
Contributor

Hello wila,

there is a actualized logfile attached.

For your information, all components are up to date (Player preferences)

Currently installed 16.0

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

This is what I meant, solution included in the .log.

2021-01-03T18:57:04.048+01:00| vmx| I005+ Power on failure messages: This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.
2021-01-03T18:57:04.048+01:00| vmx| I005+ Intel VT-x might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.
2021-01-03T18:57:04.048+01:00| vmx| I005+ (1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable Intel VT-x and disable 'trusted execution.'

0 Kudos
Silencerbob
Contributor
Contributor

Hello RaSystemlord,

it seems to work. Now a fast installed Gparted.iso is working.

But Windows 10 x64 is making still problems. First i had the message "EFI VMware virtual NVME..." I changed in the project folder in the .vmx file

Firmware"efi" into Firmware"bios"

Now booting looks better, but now i have the message "operating system not found"

I used Win10_20H2_German_x64.iso

Player is updated to 16.1 in the meantime, but this changes nothing.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Silencerbob
Contributor
Contributor

It seems i found the problem. CD/DVD wasn´t set to "use iso image file"

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

OK, that's great.

However, my VMs do boot, but are so slow that they cannot be used. No answers in any Forum.

What exactly did you edit in .vmx file? Solution for me, might be something like that ... or some setup in BIOS that must NOT be selected in the case of Ubuntu 20.04.1 Host.

0 Kudos