VMware Communities
octopop
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Player 16 VMDK Internal Error after Windows 10 blue screen. VDK metadata attached.

Hi All,

This morning my Windows 10 VM blue screened and on shutdown it stopped booting. When I run the VM, it says "Cannot find VMDK", even though it is on the local disk. When I go into settings and click on the "Hard Disk (NVME)", it shows me an "Internal Error". Removing the HDD and adding it results in the same issue.

Any help is appreciated. 

I came across another thread (https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Virtual-Disk-vmdk-has-one-or-more-intern...) where the fix was to correct issues in VMDK file, but I am not sure how the solution poster came up with the sizes. In case a similar solution applies, I have included the filelist and metadata here.

ls -l > filelist.txt

dd if="MSFT Domain Joined.vmdk" of="Metadata-1536.bin" bs=1536 count=1

Screenshot 2022-04-07 105134.pngScreenshot 2022-04-07 105233.pngScreenshot 2022-04-07 105257.pngScreenshot 2022-04-07 105315.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It looks like "MSFT Domain Joined-s014.vmdk" is missing.

If you can't find it anymore, then your options are basically to restore the VM from a recent backup, or to replace the missing file with e.g. "MSFT Domain Joined-s017.vmdk" which - according to its size - seems to only contain required metadata, i.e. is empty in regards of user data.

In any case, I'd strongly recommend that you backup the current folder/files before you take any actions!

André

0 Kudos
octopop
Contributor
Contributor

Now that even more concerning that a file just disappeared with me never touching it 🙂 Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
WilliamPA
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am having the same issue today.

Have you found the solution.

There lot of work in my VM.

Anyone helping will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The first thing that I would do if I suddenly found that a slice of my virtual disk vmdk file set is missing, I would check to see if I have an antivirus program installed on the system. AV programs have been known to generate false positives while scanning virtual disk files, resulting in them placing virtual disk files in quarantine.

If you do have AV installed, check to see if the missing file is in the quarantine area of the AV program. Restore it back to the virtual machine folder.

Then configure your AV utility to not scan folders containing a virtual machine.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Also, do not store your Virtual Machines in a directory which is synchronized via OneDrive.  That may not result in missing disk slices, but will most definitely result in disk corruption.

0 Kudos