VMware Communities
x00
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 17 on Linux Kernel 6.5.4 will not run

Hi all,

After the latest kernel update in the distro I use, which updated me to Kernel 6.5.4, Workstation 17 Player will not load. I get the message about needing to recompile the kernel with vmmon and vmnet (I think it was) but when I try to do this it fails. I went to the command line and ran the "sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all" which also failed. The only way I was able to get workstation to run was to revert back to Kernel 6.4.6. I checked for any software updates when it was running but there is nothing to update at this time.

Does any one know of a work around for this, or know when there may be an updated 17 player for Linux?

5 Replies
_p2_
Contributor
Contributor

May I chime in and report I have the same issue, having upgraded my host to Ubuntu 23.10.

I've attached the log file produced, but I lack the skill to diagnose the problem myself.

Massive thanks in advance to the VMware engineers for Workstation Player!

Cheers,

Pete Pinter

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Anything other than the officially supported distributions listed in KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80807 may require you to consult https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules . There you will find instructions and patched files that may allow you to configure Workstation for newer kernels where Linux changed things. 

None of us here can say when or if VMware will respond to answer the question "when will you support this distribution or newer kernel". VMware typically does not release information about the contents or timing of future releases.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
_p2_
Contributor
Contributor

From one geezer to another: Thank you!

I went with Method 2b as it seemed more straightforward and I'm now back on the air.

Phew!

0 Kudos
Pedantic
Contributor
Contributor

May I ask which "Method 2b" you referred to? Where can I find it? I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
_p2_
Contributor
Contributor

If you refer to the INSTALL file at Technogeezer's link above, you'll read about the various options (1a, 1b, 2a and 2b).

I had to read it twice before settling on 2b as it seems more likely my Ubuntu will be updated before VMware will be in future.

In fact, I'm stuck on VMware Workstation Player 17.0.2 as my Xeon based system lacks the Intel instructions to run anything newer.

Good luck!