VMware Communities
CadillacRick68
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 16 network connectivity issue

Just using the Workstation player for the first time... I'm on Windows 10...  have moved a VM into it and am able to run it...   but for some reason I can't get the VM to see the network.

The VM has a static ip of 10.33.54.199   and i've selected the "Bridged Connection directly to physical network" but for some reason I can't ping it from the network once it comes online.

I've tried to shutdown the Windows firewall but that doesn't help any.

I've also tried changing the network adapter settings to use the "Custom" section where I can select some of the VMnet choices...  nothing works there either... 

Not sure what else I can try ?    The VM worked fine in the esxi server...  just doesn't see the network under my Windows 10 machine.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

What address does your pc have the windows machine running on?
Normally one of the 3 possible network configurations is used with the Workstation Player:

Host-Only
Nat
Bridged Network

In the first two configurations, you normally use a specific IP range that Workstation Player uses (you can go and see it in the Workstation Player network configurations) and it is not convenient for you to specify a static IP address in the windows 10 VM
If you use the bridged network configuration instead the VM card is as if it were connected to the same network as your pc so it must have an IP address of the same segment or be in DHCP (if there is a DHCP in your network segment)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
CadillacRick68
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Fabio,

I've attached a screenshot of the network selection...   It's set to the bridged connection... 

And on the VM itself I have set a static IP address in the same range as the Windows 10 machine that is hosting the VM... 

But no go...  it cannot see the network   any other ideas that might cause this ? 

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Have you tried to select "Replicate physical network connection state"?

Have you tried to change the network connection (from Bridged to NAT or PC Only) after removing the local IP address on VM?  

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
CadillacRick68
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Fabio

Yes I did try using the VMNet8 (NAT) connection and then the local PC sees the VM... but nothing on the network sees it though.

And yes I also tried the "Replicate physical network connection state" with no change.

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Different situation if you use Bridged network and use DHCP on the Guest VM?

Is it possible that on the physical network switch there is something that blocks a multi mac address on the same port?

Can you send me the ipconfig of VM Guest and your PC?

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
CadillacRick68
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Fabio,

I can't really use DHCP on the guest machine...  it's a DOS box and I have to set the IP before launching it.   See attached screenshot.

What's weird is it works fine in the esxi server... but if I try and load it in Workstation Player...  nothing... no network...    So i'm sure it's some sort of config i'm missing in the player...   but i think i've tried every combination possible... 

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

In the VMware Workstation Player installation, you are using other DOS VMs (for example with Windows guest OS) that are configured in Bridged and correctly?
On the PC hosting the VMware Workstation Play how many network cards do you have? It could be a problem with the network card that is used for Bridged.

To check which network card is used for bridged on VMware Workstation Player you need to:

- Install the vmnetcfg.exe tool which is not included with the free version, and you can follow this link:
https://vmwarewolf.com/vmware-player-missing-vmnetcfg-exe-utility/

- To check which device is used for bridged:

Open vmnetcfg.exe select VMnet0.
This is the default vswitch using the bridging network configuration.
From the drop-down box below select the host adapter you want to connect VMnet0 to.
If the desired adapter does not appear in the list it is because the "VMware bridge protocol" is disabled for that adapter.

fabio1975_0-1637055234766.png

Otherwise, it could be a problem on the network side where there are policies that do not allow having multiple mac addresses on the same port of the switch (except for servers with ESXi)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

CadillacRick68
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Fabio

Ok i've even went and downloaded the trial version of Workstation Pro 16.... I was able to get the network manager open and check on the VMnet0 as you suggested... I am able to set it to my ethernet adapter.... but still no luck...  when I start the VM I cannot see it on the network...

I tried calling VMWare but they do not offer any support for trial versions...   

I don't see why I would purchase it if I can't get it to work... so that logic escapes me why they wouldn't help...  but anyways...  I am not sure what else I can try..... 

So far i've only been able to get the local PC to see the VM... the local network cannot no matter what selections I make....   This is disappointing...  not sure what else I can try .... 

0 Kudos
CarltonR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Reviewing the above, would I be correct in saying that:

Build:

• ESXi VM has been migrated to Workstation Player 
  • Guest VM is a DOS based operating system
  • Workstation Player installed on a Win 10 Host
  • Win 10 host Defender Firewall Private/Pubic is turned off (no other security apps installed)
  • Workstation Players DOS Guest VM has a fixed IP (10.33.54.199)

Actions:

• When setup in Network Bridged mode the VM cannot be pinged by any external network devices [within the same subnet]
  • When setup in NAT mode the VM can be pinged from the Win 10 host, but still not from any external network devices [within the same subnet]

Assuming I’ve got this correct then . . .

Questions:

1. When on the ESXi Server were/are you able to ping/traceroute from and to the DOS VM ?
  2. Is the ESXi Server on the same network/subnet as the Win 10 Workstation Player machine ?
  3. What are the network settings for the Win 10 Workstation Player machine ?
  4. Are there any specific network controls within the DOS Guest VM ?
  5. Are there any other protocols that can be used to test the DOS Guest VM ?

Suggestions:

• From the Workstation Player DOS VM can you ping, traceroute or access other devices from it, i.e. going out of its network, rather then 'coming in'
  • Can you ping/traceroute the Win 10 host from external network devices
  • As a comparison using a Windows based Guest VM on the Workstation Player, can you:

- Confirm that the Win VM works in NAT mode [Win Guest DHCP]
- Confirm that the Win VM works in Bridged mode [Win Guest DHCP]
- Then when setup in Bridged mode and Win VM set with a Fixed IP, and test

CadillacRick68
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys for all the input...  After several hours of picking at it I finally found what needed to happen for it to see the local network.

I went into the windows network adapters panel and basically bridged my ethernet adapter with the VMnet8 --- this created an icon called Network Bridge...  I went in the properties of that one and assigned it an IP on my local LAN in the 10.33.54.x range where the VM sits.. 

Then inside the VM workstation player settings I made sure the network adapter was set to "Bridged" and I also checked the "Replicate Physical network state" box...  then saved all that.

Went back to the VM itself and made sure it had it's static IP in the range I wanted... in this case 10.33.54.199...   powered up the VM and boom... network connection works.

I was able to see it now from all the machines on the LAN...  and with a quick port forward from the router was also able to access the VM from the outside world.

Thank to Fabio and Carlton for the guidance...  it definitely helped!  

0 Kudos