VMware Communities
AlanCDav1s
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 16.1 install fails on RHEL 8.5 SELinux - /tmp libpython

I'm trying to install workstation 16.1 on a new RHEL 8.5 system with the CUI security profile selected at install.

When I run the bundle installer I get this in the /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-vmis-XXXX.log file:

Could not load Python library from /tmp/vmis.fEJk0t/install/vmware-installer/python/libpython3.8.so.1.0: /tmp/vmis.fEJk0t/install/vmware-installer/python/libpython3.8.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: Operation not permitted

The only other messages are warnings about optional configuration files missing.

I've tried removing the noexec option and remounting /tmp, rebooting, and setting SELinux to permissive with no change.

Any ideas on where to look next would be appreciated.

I can't change the VMIS_TEMP location without reverse-engineering the MAGIC_NUMBER code. (Note to devs : it would be really useful to be able to override VMIS_TEMP).

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PrimeOS
Contributor
Contributor

FYI:

Its not officially supported, but VMWare Workstation on RHEL 8.4 host works if you use the patches from here

https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules

However, for me a RHEL 8.5 host crashes with a hard reset when I start VMware Workstation (I have 15.5.7)

0 Kudos
PrimeOS
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I forgot to mention, I actually did get the Player 16.2.1 up and running under Alma Linux 8.5.

After install of 16.2.1 (failed with the vmmon/vmnet). I tried a crap-shot with compiling the modules from mkubeceks github above.

You will get an error in the C-file crosspage.c / line 53 missing the frame.h file. So instead of the <linux/frame.h> I grabed the <asm/frame.h>. I had no time to investigate, but at least everything runs this way. Be careful ! This is a total crap-shot !

0 Kudos
diegoguerreroj
Contributor
Contributor

With RHEL 8.5 and workstation 16.2.1 build-18811642 doesn't works with the default vmmon/vmnet, with patches from https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/tree/workstation-16.2.1 the vmnet loads but the vmmon shows this errors:

[12975.859387] vmmon: Unknown symbol CrossPage_CodePage (err 0)

[12975.859414] vmmon: Unknown symbol cpDataTemplate (err 0)

[12975.859446] vmmon: Unknown symbol HostToVmm (err 0)

[12975.859462] vmmon: Unknown symbol CrossPage_CodeEnd (err 0)

[12975.859482] vmmon: Unknown symbol CrossPageInitSwitchIDTs (err 0)

0 Kudos
PrimeOS
Contributor
Contributor

Did the MKubecek fix actually compile successfully ? Which kernel version do you have ? I was using the standard kernel in ALMA 8.5 - which should be a clone of RHEL 8.5. The ML kernel (5.x) gave me headaches, so I reverted back to to the standard 4.x for ALMA. Ane even it should have compiled, i had to modify the crosspage.c file

#ifdef __linux__
# include <linux/version.h>
# undef __RHEL_OBJTOOL_H_HACK
# ifdef RHEL_RELEASE_CODE
# if RHEL_RELEASE_CODE >= RHEL_RELEASE_VERSION(8, 5)
# define __RHEL_OBJTOOL_H_HACK
# endif
# endif
# include "driver-config.h"
# if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5, 10, 0)
# if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5, 10, 0) || \
defined(__RHEL_OBJTOOL_H_HACK)
# include <linux/objtool.h>
# elif LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(4, 6, 0)

# include <linux/frame.h>   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<    changed to <asm/frame.h>

other than this I can only give you the second most famous phrase of a software developer: "But it works on my machine" (after "But I only changed one line")

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What is the value of RHEL_RELEASE_CODE in the Alma 8.5 kernel you built against? Does it have <linux/objtool.h>? Does it have <linux/frame.h>? Can you point me to its kernel devel package?

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Found this one: kernel-devel-4.18.0-348.2.1.el8_5.x86_64.rpm and current workstation-16.2.1 builds cleanly against it.

PrimeOS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello M !

by the way, I want to say thank you for the excellent job with fixes !! Helped my ass many times !

I'm pretty busy with TUV/FDA audit preparations. Hope I have time to look into it before X-Mas.

Regards

G.